Where to buy decent 27 x 1 1/4 wheels modestly priced ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Apologies if this is a stupid question :facepalm:

My rear wheel and hub has seen better days, the time has come to dig deep in the pockets. I am looking to buy a modestly priced rear wheel but one which will last a few years, I have seen some cheap ones but they are a little unknown quality, I see SJS has some but these were not QR.

I think the rim of my wheel could be saved, but would need new spokes and hub. What options of hubs ?, It would also be a good time to change the freewheel to a more hill friendly set up. Oh and my rear mech needs changing so could use this opportunity to ugrade ?

So could I get a new 27" rim, new hub laced with new spokes and a modern (ish) 6 speed freewheel ?

Or does anyone know of a 'old school' bike shop in Dorset/Hampshire etc

Mine just, say oh dear and try and sell me a Giant Defy 5 :x :x

Re:

I've got a pair of Shimano 600 hubs sitting around doing nothing, and a need to scare up some cash to replace my current car with... might those be of interest? I'll send you a PM.

Re: Re:

DrewSavage":3f1iczij said:
I've got a pair of Shimano 600 hubs sitting around doing nothing, and a need to scare up some cash to replace my current car with... might those be of interest? I'll send you a PM.

Pm replied to :)

For a decent bike shop try Bicycle World in Ringwood. They do a good job of wheel builds (including a reverse dish special for my singlespeed).

hamster":288m0mit said:
For a decent bike shop try Bicycle World in Ringwood. They do a good job of wheel builds (including a reverse dish special for my singlespeed).

Funnily enough i spoke them this morning, i am going to drop the wheel off to them this week :)

I am getting really fussy about who works on the bike. I have had a few unhappy experiences recently :x

Back