Carlton Constellation chrome restoration

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
I have a new Carlton its way to me. It will be a major refurbishment. I think I have narrowed the model down to one of two. The seller approached me via my website. I have been offered two machines, however I'm only taking one. The person concerned has another machine for sale, needs work but with the right treatment could look stunning. Its a 22", or thereabouts, 1970s all Chrome Cobra, 5-speed. I can put any interested party in touch with the seller.

More on this new machine soon. Im in the process of waiting for it to arrive. All I can say it will be a be different to my usual builds. More soon!

Re:

Pictures form the seller...

photo1_zps697573ed.jpg

photo3_zps3e2a73d7.jpg

Re: New Carlton - Corsa Strada or Catalina chrome...

Ahhhh...Acrylichrome :D

I wonder if the catalina / olympic ring decal on the top tube has gone the same way as the red laquer?

Shaun

is that the bike that is for sale?? how much? might be interested

tokaicarl":1yjtajea said:
is that the bike that is for sale?? how much? might be interested

No. :)

Please read the thread title and first post.

Midlife":xs4edl3d said:
Ahhhh...Acrylichrome :D

I wonder if the catalina / olympic ring decal on the top tube has gone the same way as the red laquer?

Shaun

Hard to say for sure at present, but after a bit of quick research narrowing it down to these two models seems promising.

Started to assemble parts for this now, bar tape, new tyres, tubes and brake blocks. I have aslo decided to use new white ribbed cables and add Blumels pump.

Bike should be on its way down today from Nottingham, hope it hasn't got any (too) many nasty surprises!

Well the machine arrived today, not the best packing I have seen, but the machine was padded in the right places and is in good condition.

It will require a top to toe refurbishment, although I'll be saving the Acrylichrome finish. Getting some of the insulting tape which seems to be abound may be more of an issue.

I still can't quite make up my mind as to the model, I though it may be a Catalina Chrome - it still could be, possibly a Corsa Strada - I have seen them with this finish. The more I look at it now, it could well be another Constellation. The frame looks well well finished - see images. The rear stays and forks look well finished, so i think its 531. It has cycle drop outs and has an H prefix on the frame number, so c1962. Frame size is 22 or 22-1/2". It has a 48-tooth Williams chain set - in great condition, and is currently driving a non-original Simplex Prestige rear mech. The frame has a braze on for the gear changer, so I suspect something a bit better was originally fitted. Brakes are Weinmann 730s and appear sound, new block will be fitted.

Cappella lugs - confirmed by the seat tube decal (other decals to be replaced), no markings showing the usual Catalina Olympic rings motif. The old alloy guards will be going as I have a spare pair of rather fetching red ones stored away. New bar tape (cloth) will be red with red bar end plugs, also a red Blumels pump to finish, along with new white ribbed cables. Curiously the cycle has come with two original alloy pumps. Saddle is restorable and is a Brooks B15 Champion narrow. Wheels are true, but will require a bit of cleaning, both have attractive Resilion large flange hubs. Both tyres are shot! these will be replaced with World Tours and new tubes. The rear wheel has a pretty close ration 5-speed block with a fixed sprocket on the other side. I will also be fitting a Carradice saddle bag and possibly a different rear mech and front change lever.

All in all Im pretty happy with the bike, it will take a bit of work, but it should look pretty eye catching once I have finished with it. More soon, but here are a few images as unwrapped today.

P6111069_zps26350926.jpg

P6111087_zps918b932f.jpg

P6111090_zpsfdeeef36.jpg

P6111092_zps6cc010bc.jpg

P6111093_zps4d7193f5.jpg

P6111086_zps46e43a8a.jpg

P6111084_zps1c2b292d.jpg

P6111082_zps54a501ff.jpg

P6111081_zps4d46a1d5.jpg

P6111079_zpsbce9ba20.jpg

P6111076_zps9512f0ac.jpg

Re: Carlton Constellation or Catalina chrome...

I can imagine that was really something to look at when new. Not that it is a dog now mind you.

Re: Carlton Constellation or Catalina chrome...

lewisfoto":1ekiwm2k said:
I can imagine that was really something to look at when new. Not that it is a dog now mind you.

Yes, a wet finger over the paint simply shines... This bike has not been ridden for some years thats for sure. It obviously been kept indoors as there is not one speck of rust on it.

Latest posts

Back