Watney's Red Barrel

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Whilst watching Liege-Bastogne-Liege on telly last Sunday I heard Mike Smith mention a Belgian rider from back in the day. Said rider claimed to have invented overshoes, Mike then mentioned anecdote of him being sponsored by Watney's Red Barrel. He also mentioned that retro shirts of this design were now available. Prendas, the usual suspect for such an item doesn't appear to have them. My powers of google are weak tonight - anyone know anything about this?

Ta in advance

Yes, Watney's sponsored a pro team in Belgium in the 60's. Quite a few good riders of the day rode for them. I'll have a quick look through some old mags.

Could be interested in a jersey if you can find them. Wouldn't want to drink the beer though!

Watneys red barrell was like having sex in an open canoe, for the obvious reasons that the old joke states........ :p

Still, I have a WRB keyring that I inherited from my dad, and has been all roond the globe, so I've a soft spot for the Weak Beer of Legend (and anyway, lower proof but nicer beers is comin' back, I hear.....). A watneys jersey would go nice with a Tunnock's one, I say!!

http://www.procyclegear.com/watneys_retro_jersey.htm

And thus ye have it!!!

Thanks for the link, lots of interesting jerseys there. I like the Brooklyn and the Wiels ones. Anywhere in the UK sell them?

Surprised to see a replica World Champion Rainbow Jersey for sale. The UCI wouldn't like it. A friend of mine got a right b*ll*cking from an official at an event on the continent once for spectating wearing a rainbow jersey! He was asked when he was world champion and for what event! It was actually the genuine article obtained from an ex-WC from many years before.

Back