Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Evening all retro roadies ;)

Paid a visit to my lbs first thing this morning to get the headset cups pressed into my NOS frame and NOS forks . Very helpful too , surprisingly . Got home to assemble , only to find there wasn't enough stack height to use the Dura Ace cartridge headset with the washer between the lock nuts . It was ok without .
Would really like to use this headset on this frame , but will it be ok ?
I do have a Tange Passage to hand otherwise , but not keen on using it .
Thoughts pleeeeeeese ,

Mke

Re:

It's there for a reason, but does work without they may come loose easier.
Still they're not very thick, so you should still have enough thread covered without. Unless you're already a bit of the top?

Re:

Cheers FC ,

That's what I can't understand . They're definitely both NOS and the same colourscheme . Not had any steerer cut off either . Would an earlier cup and cone shimano headset work out lower stacked , so to speak :roll:
It's a '93/'94 frame

Mike

I ran my EDCO headset without a washer.......

4er6o.jpg

Best to use even a very thin washer though (you can get them quite thin) just to help lock them together.

Shaun

Re:

Hi Shaun ,

Yes I was wondering that . The standard one is around 2mm according to my vernier calipers . I have got a couple more , the same thickness :facepalm:

Mike

Hi Mike

I have often milled the head tube to accommodate too short a steerer column. If there is enough on either side of the head tube/lug then a millimetre off each side is an easy way to find an extra 2mm for a washer.

Neil

Re:

Hi Neil

That's a great idea . There's plenty of headtube to play with . I guess that's a job for a machine shop . Don't trust myself with a file :LOL: :facepalm: I would be nervous of them chipping the paint around the headtube though .

Mike

Re:

Cup and cone always tend to be lower than the cartridge ones

They're about 37.6 mm stack for the cartridge DA 7410 and 36.3mm for the older 7400

A Tange Levin / Passage are lower still at 30 to 33mm

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2dcejcd5 said:
Cup and cone always tend to be lower than the cartridge ones

They're about 37.6 mm stack for the cartridge DA 7410 and 36.3mm for the older 7400

A Tange Levin / Passage are lower still at 30 to 33mm

The stem I'll be using will be touching the top of the headset iirc , so the only movement from the nut may occor due to flex in the stem when out of the saddle .

Mike

it would be better to have the washer in place to maintain secure adjustment of the locking nut if possible....if it's a 1" headset then a suitable replacement washer would require you to have an old worn out (and no longer needed) rear screw on block, you undo the freewheel bearing cover by gently tapping it around to unscrew, when it is completely unscrewed and removed it will reveal a couple of paper thin flexible 1" metal washers that are a perfect fit, you only need one of them, I've used this method before when sometimes changing to a different stack height headset and they do the job fine!
Griff

Back