Cannondale Caad4 Aero

Barent

Retro Newbie
Just acquired a cheap CAAD4 Aero frame. I'm confused about the exact model and year, maybe you can help?

It has a 1" head tube(right now it's shimmed with 1 1/8 stem), from what I read online this means it might be a 2000. Some photos show bikes with similar colours but with the model name R1000 on the top tube. This has no model names whatsoever. I first thought this is a tri bike, but it does not say "Multisport" on the top tube and if I understand correctly Cannondale tri bikes of the era have 650c wheels. Also the seat tube does not look overly steep as is common with Tri/TT bikes, not sure about the front end.

I'm used to riding road bikes with 73 degree angles and I can't find any geometry tables for this frame. I'm thinking I could built this into a road bike with modern campa parts, mainly because it would look so cool. I'm aware of the hard alu ride and the weight but not too concerned since we have some nice flat roads up here!

IMG_0050.JPG

Re:

According to serial number this is a january 1999 model, caad 4 aero. Still unbuilt, I haven't decided if I want to make this into a tt bike or for road/crits. Maybe both. It seems like this was originally an aero road bike, not a TT bike.

Re:

Yeah, I guess they used basically the same frame for all the caad4 aero models. Looks like Saeco used this frame in time-trials. I've not found one photo of Saeco riders using it in road races even though it was supposedly road geometry (though at least the head tube seems clearly shorter). Maybe they thought it was too heavy.

Re:

So rad. Obviously there was aero awareness already, before carbon tubes got thicker and thicker in the 00s. Dreaming of a vintage/youngtimer aero road bike myself. Great find! 4-Spokes would be killer on this.

I hate to bump an old post but I was wondering if you would be willing to sell this frame. I have been looking for one in team colors like this for a while to go with my f700sx lefty hardtail.

Back