Early 1900's racer with gearbox in bottom bracket

Rostyles

Retro Newbie
I have found a very early French 1900s racing bicycle that I am interested in buying. It appears to have a gearbox built into the bottom bracket. Does anyone have any knowledge on these? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• $_3 (2).JPG
    $_3 (2).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 533
Disclaimer - I know nothing at all (and I really mean, nothing!) about veteran machines like this but... what makes you suspect it's a gearbox? Could it be an eccentric bottom bracket to allow the chain tension to be adjusted? The second picture isn't too sharp but it doesn't look like there's any way of adjusting the tension at the dropout...

Re:

According to the owner it has gear changing mechanics inside the crankset or chainset , 3 different positions are available? I too have never seen anything like it. The only thing I have found is that they did experiment on these sort of mechanisms in the very early Tour de France days. Any help appreciated.

It looks just like an eccentric bottom bracket. If there is really a gearbox then the chainring cannot be mounted directly onto the crank - it would need a concentric shaft like a Schlumpf Mountain drive.

Interesting, thanks, Maybe this is not as early as it seems, I have never seen an eccentric bottom bracket on a 1900 bicycle. Or did they?

I have just read on the web that as early as 1898 these were designed so that the cranks could be lowered for racing and raised for riding on the road. Would be great if someone can confirm before I decide to buy it.

Everything else about the bike looks right for early 20th century - 1" chain and tight chainstays especially. The gearbox needs checking, that's all. How is it actuated? :?

Re:

On further reading and searching for information on the web it confirms AJMs response that it is an eccentric bottom bracket used to tension the frame and not a gearbox at all. Still very advanced for early 1900 surely? Thanks guys for your responses.

Back