Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Happy weekend one and all ,

Hoping the road massive can help me out .

I'd like to know what the Reynolds equivalent to Columbus tubing would be . I know that SL , SLX and Max are a popular choice , but am not so familiar with Aelle , Thron , Gara , Brain or Genius tubes .
I am familiar with Reynolds though , so comparisons will help .
As for Oria , I'm even less familiar :oops: , so any knowledge shared would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you ,

Mike

Re:

i'll tell you what i can remember from the 80s in my cycling heyday, so there's absolutely no fact and figures here, only what i can recall, so here goes!

columbus SL was the eqivalent of 531/ 531 Pro
columbus SLX was a reinforced version of the above
columbus TSX was the reinforced lighter version of SLX
columbus MAX was radical in that the tubes were oversized and beautifully shaped
and had to be used with specific bb shells and fork crowns - lightweight and stiff as a board

as for the other italian tubed frames, i can only recall selling them in the shop and never rode one. they weren't any lighter than SL etc and never grabbed my attention.

reynolds 753R is still the choice tube set of the time in my opinion. lovely stuff indeed.

Re:

I think Columbus genius was a little later than sl and slx.it was a pro level tubing with may a manufacture using it.i always wanted a genius DE ROSA but they where very expensive and uncommon.ORIA was only a small producer , based in Verona Italy.there is very little info on them.but they did make some good stuff.the moser built oria kk was a very nice bike

Re:

Thank you both for your help .

Matthew , it is the Moser frames I'm drawn to regarding Oria tubing .

RB , thanks . You're memory is not going at the rate mine is :( .
BTW , Is your avatar pic Raul Alcala or Alvaro Mejia ?

Mike

Midlife":2r5nliu1 said:
My Moser with Oria tubing (the one with the square fluting) seems particularly light :)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun , didn't know Moser made such a thing . What era are we talking about mate ?
BTW , how hard is it to find the specific quill type seatposts for Moser frames ?
I blame Bugno for my Moser search , he won the Wincanton down here in Brighton the year I started racing '90 . Classy rider . Wonder if he's still flying helicopters !

Mike

I think my moser leader is 1991-2, stonkingly good frame, silver brazed and very neat, possibly the lightest frame I have. I bought mine cheap because the seat tube is wrecked and I fancied messing with a more modern frame. The quill seatposts are tricky.

Shaun

Re:

Cheers Shaun ;)

I suppose you could use at a push , gulp , a seatpost clamp mtb type thingy :oops: It would probably look shyte though :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Some oria tubed mosers had a different arrangement at the seat cluster. Was it a sort of grub screw?

They did them in a nice pink colour, mine is a boring green lol.

Shaun

Midlife":1q9fzvc5 said:
Some oria tubed mosers had a different arrangement at the seat cluster. Was it a sort of grub screw?

They did them in a nice pink colour, mine is a boring green lol.

Shaun

I often see variations of the Chateau d'Ax pink bikes come up . They had a few different pink - heavy paint jobs iirc .
Is yours a Gatorade team frame then ? There was a nice one for sale a little while ago I know . Wish I'd snapped it up now :roll:

Mike

Back