Wheel help... (please!)

Stan_Dingup

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm hoping some of you guys on here can help me with a couple of question...

Wanted to get hold of a road bike to complement the MTB and have very handily been given a 1987ish Gitane Triomphe. It's been sat in a garage for the last 10 years so I'm giving it a bit of a sort out before it becomes a 3-4 times a week trainer.

Anyway, I need some help with the wheels. The hubs are Campagnolo 7 speed screw on freewheel hubs and I would ideall like to keep them. Rims and spokes are shot and need replacing.

Do I ...

a) Get current hubs rebuilt on new rims (been reccomended Mavic Open Sports)? Costs in total about £100.

b) Just buy a new wheelset?

Am I right in thinking the spacing on the drop outs on this age of bike are not compatible with modern wheelsets?

Any ideas on where to buy a new wheelset £100 ish that would fit a late eighties bike?

Anyone got anything used to sell?

FYI - Campag brakes, levers, headset, BB and Crank are all restorable. Same for Shimano 600 gearing. Frame is getting new powdercoat (light blue). Leather Charge saddle, bar tape, chain stay protector.

Any help gratefully received...

Campag and Shimano 7 are both the same cog spacing, so getting bits is not a problem, and at least you can mix and match. 7 speed freewheels are also relatively easy to find.

There are plenty of spares available for Campag hubs, and they are easily rebuildable. I'd just get my LBS to build the wheels up.

If you ever want to upgrade your drivetrain to more speeds, then go ahead and get the rear respaced to 130mm (you are probably 126mm at present so it's no big deal.)

For now I'd just rebuild the wheels, but service and check the hubs over carefully first (dismantly, clean, replace bearings, check for worn races)

Back