Dura-Ace scholars-clue me up?

torqueless

Senior Retro Guru
These came my way today:
002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Judging from Velobase, they are not first generation, (1973-76), 'cause they are slotted rather than drilled, although they seem to have the same "Shimano Dura-Ace" stamped logo on the blades as first generation, and the same pressed body.
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=166

Next chronologically on Velobase is Dura-Ace 7200, (1978-84), which have the slotted blades, but the stamped logo is diagonal, and the bodies seem to have become cast, rather than pressed.
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=171

So I'm guessing these are Dura-Ace 7100, which, by the looks of things, dates them to 1977. Can anyone confirm or deny? There doesn't seem to be any 7100 brakes on Velobase. The last pressed-body Dura-Ace brake levers, around for only one year? I don't suppose anything Shimano is actually rare, but you never know... (written before hearing about IanRaleigh's £300 handlebars!) Actually, the last thing I need is rare brake levers- my bike goes from A to B and (sometimes) gets locked up when it gets there. It's bloody nerve-wracking realising that every bit of your primary mode of transport is becoming collectable..

Now those look odd......they shouldn't have Dura Ace on them at all, all the Dura Ace Stuff I came across BITD would have had drilled levers like Campag SR. They should have 600 stamped on them........

Are they for sale?

Shaun

Did you look at the links, Shaun? The second one shows slotted blades stamped: "Shimano Dura-Ace".
Again, judging from Velobase, all Shimano levers below Dura-Ace level, including 600, have those 'slotted-band' attachments to the bars, secured by a loose bolt into a captive nut, rather than these 'single band' attachments secured with a loose nut into a captive bolt.
Mine have "Dura-Ace" on the blades, and Dura-Ace bar attachment- why would they be "600"?

Are they for sale? Fact is, I needed some brake levers with secure bar-attachment. That's why I got 'em.

Dura-Ace 7100?

Ah.. Thanks for the link, Ian. Those are the ones, apparently in much better condition than my pair, without hoods, one of which especially has "pivot issues", and a blade which needed straightening. I notice the seller in your link is calling them "first generation".

I have the same levers on my Gazelle which dates back to '82. Calipers on that bike are first generation, not 7100
Do yours have pressed bodies, Flandria?

I've yet to see an image of 7100 levers- I wonder do they have pressed bodies or cast? These are either 7100, or "last generation of first generation"... :? :)

torqueless":ghd3vhvd said:
Do yours have pressed bodies, Flandria?

I've yet to see an image of 7100 levers- I wonder do they have pressed bodies or cast? These are either 7100, or "last generation of first generation"... :? :)

Ehm, I'm not a native english speaker, could you explain to me what the difference is between a 'pressed' body and a 'cast' body?

If you're looking for hoods: the generic cane creek non-Aero hoods fit well if you make a little incission on the underside!

Have a look at the pics at the links in my first post- 1st. gen. pressed, 7200 cast. Pressed bodies are (I guess) formed out of a flat piece of metal. They have a 'seam', usually on the underside. Cast bodies are (I guess) formed from molten metal in a mould. As examples, think of '70s Weinmann (pressed) and '70s Campag. (cast)

BTW, there is a date code stamped on the underside of these Shimano bodies. Going by this source: http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm my levers were made in August '77.

Thanks for the hoods tip..

torqueless":v1e8liiy said:
Have a look at the pics at the links in my first post- 1st. gen. pressed, 7200 cast. Pressed bodies are (I guess) formed out of a flat piece of metal. They have a 'seam', usually on the underside. Cast bodies are (I guess) formed from molten metal in a mould. As examples, think of '70s Weinmann (pressed) and '70s Campag. (cast)

BTW, there is a date code stamped on the underside of these Shimano bodies. Going by this source: http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm my levers were made in August '77.

Thanks for the hoods tip..

Torqueless: i've inspected the levers and they seem to be pressed. They look identical to yours, with a seam on the underside. There is 'BL' pressed on the body (see picture), which means the levers date from december 1977 according to your source!

I've also added a picture on which you can see the hood fit. Not perfect, but good enough for it's price and availability I guess!

VMKD3Uv.jpg

LACBCqS.jpg

Thanks Flandria. Yeah yours are pressed, like mine. It takes two to establish a time-frame, which can then be expanded if/when another example turns up. August to December 1977 for now.

One of my lever blades, I take it to have been the non-drive side one, has definitely received a nasty side-impact at some time in the past- enough to ovalise the pivot-holes. Still functional, but a lot of sideways movement.

Another nice bike from the past you have there- I don't know how you choose which one to ride.. :)

Midlife- Don't you have a stash of first gen. levers? What's the latest date-code you can find on them? or anyone else.....

Back