Cracked rim... what to do?

Flandria

Retro Guru
Hi all,

Building up a rather nice Gazelle at the moment but have a little problem on the rims. They're nice Nisi Moncalieri's laced up to some smooth record hubs. But at one of the spokes, the rim is cracked. Made some pictures, think they state the problem clear enough?

Was thinking about some aluminium epoxy to glue the crack. Will this be strong enough to keep the rim alive for some light rides?

kajzT7t.jpg

q2TAxbI.jpg

It looks like the other hole is starting to go as well.
Why risk it going, just get another rim/spokes if needed.

if it's just popping to the shops etc, then I'd probably ride it for a bit. Though i'm sure it will keep altering how true it is.
No idea if any glues/epoxies will help you.

Rear wheel, bugloss!

I'm not so eager on getting new rims and spokes for this bike, since I've promised myself not to spend too much money on this bike :). Might just try the epoxy solution and see what it gives after a few rides. Anyone has some experience with this stuff?

You could true it up by loading the other spokes around it but that will increase the stress on the rim even further. As the rim has already proved itself weak you are really not going to win with this.Nothing will hold that together safely. Its the skip im afraid. Can you not borrow a spare wheel from a mate just to try the new build out? If you do ride it then take your helmet and a phone as you are probably walking home.
Regards
Peter
I was works manager for a number of years for a company making industrial epoxy systems.Excellent stuff but my gut feeling is that due to fatigue in the rim you are throwing cash away by trying it.I just dont see it as a runner

Bin it. I can't see you glueing it together. At least you won't go over the bars when it goes.

That is rideable, what can happen, it won't explode.
I have seen a tendency to overtension wheels, apart from using tree trunks for spokes.
If its on the gear side you could build the wheel the other way round, and while its apart just tap down the split, visual effect only, and don't build it too tight.
I have raced on much worse.
Keith

You can try drilling a very small hole (1-2mm dia)where the crack ends and that will stop it getting any worse.
Try spreading the load with a small washer threaded on the nipple on the inside of the rim if possible.

no glue will work properly IMO but there will be no explosive failure either , a new rim is required i think

Back