Front Mech Prob - SORTED!!! Last post is worth a quick read

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

Yet another problem - I am beginning to realise that RBing involves moving from one catastrophe to the next disaster; but that is half the fun!!! << might be BS!!! LOL Luckily I have no hair left to pull out.

As most will know, I am building an A Frame Gazelle (the headset issues thread). Having got the HS sorted, I thought i was on the finishing straight and was ready to get the cables sorted UNTIL ....

the front mech cable clamp 'failed' when i was tightening it up. It may be the case i am not responsible for it as i had not tried it before but i am stuck with the problem.

I have tried a couple of other bolts and they tighten 'to a point' and then loosen so I have to presume the threads are 'goosed' (Norn Iron technical term for broken). Here are a couple of pics although they don't show much -

I forgot to take a pic of the bolt - but it is a clamp. I have looked around in my usual haunts for something to replace it but have been unable to find anything.

I would like some options as to the best way to get this working - I do not have access to any local engineers etc to rethread the hole and i am not sure that would work without increasing the size of the hole.

Any ideas and options are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Richard

Re: Front Mech Prob - hopefully simple fix - help (again ple

Looks threaded - use a nut on the other side with a longer bolt or replace mech

That mech looks surprisingly serviceable so you might be able to take it apart and send the offending bit away to be helicoiled if it can be done on such a small bit of aluminium.

Mech replacement is not an option UNLESS someone has a cheapish one available.

The original bolt will not work, do i need to make a grooved washer to work?

Richard

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You could pop down your local hardwear shop and see if they have any Imperial 10/32" bolts and try one of those as Imperial sizes are slightly larger than Metric ;)

Thanks, I might get a chance to get out today.

Re the eBay finds - those are 600 variants, mine is the Dura Ace Ex /7200. Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier.

As seen here - pre-cabling.

Richard

Prob is now I see it the nut/bolt option might foul the mech.

I think I have a little room but i was wondering about something which MIGHT be called a 'pinch bolt' - bolt with a hole for the cable to pass through.

I think this might be easy enough if i had a selection of nuts and bolts to test. As always, I find it hard to envisage something and am better when i can see it in real life.

Richard

Back