Alternatives to Campag Chorus Aero 88 seatpost

samsbike":ycgl7y29 said:
I would like an alternative to this seatpost as its slightly too short.
What have you guys used instead?

The shimano 600ax post looks similar but is a little bit longer.

Failing that, the round campagnolo record posts are a bit longer as well.

By '88 there were some third party alternatives, but maybe a bit before the big explosion in small bike company manufacturing. I have a '88 Performance Bicycle Shop catalog and the only two posts they offer longer than the Chorus are the Strong PM-30 and Strong PMC-30 carbon fiber (believe it or not carbon!)

Performance had a very limited selection so maybe a pro shop would have had more choices?

If you are not too worried about exact period correctness by the early 90s the choices are much greater including Richey, American Classic, Syncros and even XTR.

Another question , If you need a longer post maybe the frame is too small?

Steven

I struggle with frame sizes as I think I have long legs and a short torso. Its a 58cm seattube and the guy who ran the bike before was 6 1. I am just under 6ft.

Anyway, what would you recommend for a straight swap, as otherwise I shall have to resort for a Kalloy one in the interim.

You could always go with the Kalloy, since they are cheap, and do a proper search for a better alternative. What type of frame is it? clearly you would have greater choice if your bike takes 27.2 post

I took one look at that bike and....

You need a bigger frame maybe by 2cm or so, even your stem is at its max!

So I would use the Kalloy as it would look better than a balck one with the rest of the components and start a search for a new frame. Ciocc are pretty common if you really like that make.

Hi, I dont doubt your judgement, my issue is then the reach gets really long. I can just about cope with a 55cm tt and a 100mm stem with short reach bars.

I think you are right I will just cope with the kalloy one and sell the campag.

What is it likely to be worth?

thanks

Don't sell the post keep it that is what I do....

I have the same body geometry as you, long legs short torso, only on a slightly smaller scale. You can compensate with a shorter stem, slightly forward position on the saddle. If you went up in bike size by one cm you could keep the current post and buy a stem that is one or two cm shorter.

lewisfoto":3imt8yae said:
Don't sell the post keep it that is what I do....

I have the same body geometry as you, long legs short torso, only on a slightly smaller scale. You can compensate with a shorter stem, slightly forward position on the saddle. If you went up in bike size by one cm you could keep the current post and buy a stem that is one or two cm shorter.

I will keep it for now I guess as I have a kalloy one to use.

However that Ciocc rides really well and what I liked was the short tt at 55cm and the columbus slx tubing.

Back