Shimano Selecta Chainset/BB

gxaustin

Dirt Disciple
I have a Selecta chainset and BB on a bike I'm doing up. It won't get really hard use, when finished.
The BB seems to work OK at the moment.
I am wondering whether to junk it or keep it on for posterity. I'm inclined towards keeping it at the moment.
Can anyone offer any advice on the wisdom of this?
Graham

Hi,

Are you asking -
should i keep the chainset OR
should i keep the BB?

I would keep everything - but i am a hoarder!!!

Richard

Hi,
I'm asking whether to keep the Selecta system (I don't think you can have the chainset without the BB) on the bike in order to use it. Or, since it was soon phased out, is it a bad system which should be consigned to a box in my loft?
Graham

Graham,

From Sheldon -

Selecta ® Selecta was an early Shimano ® attempt at a splined crank/bottom bracket system, dating from the late '70s or early '80s.
The spline pattern was chosen to premit the spindle to fit through a Front-Freewheel bearing set, which wouldn't permit a standard sized square tapered BB spindle to fit throgh the front freewheel bearing assembly.

These turned out to be rather unreliable, due to the small diameter of the splines, and Shimano abandoned the system. The did continue to supply spare parts for many years thereafter, but these are no longer available.

It seems you may have probs with parts etc. so perhaps the loft is a good option, you could also sell it or consider making it into a clock or other similar garage decoration.

Richard

Keep it. It will become very rare and in 50 years time your kids will be able to retire on the proceeds.

Well, in reality, it will be a rare item in due course so worth hanging onto for the ability to post it on here in 25 years time and ask if anyone knows what it is ;)

I think I'll keep it on the bike. You occasionally see bits on Ebay and it's not difficult to change if it plays up. I doubt I'll generate enough muscle power to bend anything and it's different.
Graham

Back