Odd bit on a frame - maybe odd person asking about it

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evening all,

I got this frame last weekend - it is a Raleigh ProRace and needs a good clean but it is great condition. I was looking at the frame and noticed that the brace behind the BB which normally joins the chainstays does not attach to the driveside chainstay. It is about 12mm short - what is the reason for this?

A pic -

The gap looks small in the pic - my fault (again)!!

Thanks all,

Richard

It will be there to allow a mudguard to be clipped on, presumably they felt it wasn't required for strength. That doesn't explain why they didn't just have it going all the way across though.

I would doubt it, it is a bit obvious from all angles - even if my pics make it look hard to see.

When i got notification about this post I thought it would be some smart alec saying nothing about the frame just agreeing I was odd!!! LOL

Thanks,

Richard

Bobtoo,

That makes sense and there is no need for the additional metal of weld/brazing. I think you may be right.

Thanks,

Richard

Can't provide you with an engineers reasoning why Raleigh chose to attach to one chainstay only, however this design seems to be a common approach from Raleigh's of that era ... see my picture down towards the bottom of this thread ... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=250275

Perhaps there was a specific mudguard set that Raleigh sold that just so happened to fit Raleigh frames via this appendage??

seen that style of chainstay bridge a number of times on mass produced Raleigh frames, general consensus in the shop was whilst not essential for frame structure it served a purpose for a rear full mudguard clip however that doesn't answer why it wasn't brazed at both sides which would have improved the lower stiffness and general aesthetics
Griff

Back