Which groupset for this 1975 Gazelle Champion Mondial?

Gazelleer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Which groupset would you choose with this pale gold 1975 Gazelle Champion Mondial?

These are the - rather different - choices:

The first option is Spanish/French with Zeus Criterium derailleurs, Zeus Gran Sport seatpost and headset, Stronglight 93D crankset, Mafac Racer brakes with full hoods and 3ttt handlebars. Items still to be sourced are a Stronglight BB and dustcaps, hubs and pedals (Zeus Gran Sport?)
Pro: The groupset fits me best with 180mm cranks and 130mm stem. May look best with the chromed frame.
Con: The oval logo Zeus parts may post-date the frame?
This would be my current choice.

The second groupset is composed of some less usual Japanese parts: SunTour Cyclone derailleurs, Sugino Mighty crankset (175mm), Gran Compe brakes, Kyokuto Pro Ace pedals, Sansin Pro Am hubs, Speeder Road Champion (=Tange Levin) headset and SR ESL stem (110mm) and SR handlebars. Still looking for an Sakae SL or ESL seatpost.
Pro: The combination of the Cyclone derailleurs with the Sugino crankset looks really good IMO and modern for the time, the unusual Gran Compe brakes.
Con: May look better on a frame without chrome.

The third and last is the all French option. Simplex Criterium derailleurs, Nervar 5 vis crankset (170mm), Mafac Racer brakes with half hoods, French Laprade brand seatpost, Stronglight Compétition V4 headset, Atax or Belleri handlebars and stem.
Pro: The most classic-looking of the options.
Con: Fits me the least with short cranks and stem. May be better on a less fancy, non-chromed frame. A Simplex seatpost would go better with the rest but may be hard to find in 27.2.

What do you think?

Well for me it is a close race between the Zeus build and the Simplex. I really like all of the parts in the Zeus build but feel that the parts at least look older than the frame as they are copies of the 60s Campagnolo group. On the other hand I have never been a fan of Simplex derailleurs and because the Criterium was quite common on cheaper bikes not up to the quality of the Champion Mondail?

The Suntour group would be my last choice even though I personally like it very much, but on a Koga Myata or the like.

In the end I think it has to be the Zeus - and I think the group was available in the 70s? (I have a catalog at home I think)

Steven

Yep, Zeus was available in 1975, marry that up with the sugino chainset and you are away :)

Shaun

PS we had an unwritten agreement that Ken Elleker Cycles (the other bike shop in Hull) would stock Zeus and we'd do the new fangled Jap stuff. I think we got the best deal LOL

I do agree that a Japanese frame would be the more obvious choice for the Japanese mix but Suntour (Vx, Superbe) was standard equipment on late seventies Champion Mondials. Though a more funky purple or orange frame is perhaps a better choice for that. Zeus parts were factory fitted in the early seventies. So this frame is indeed sort of inbetween.

And yes, I could also mix and match between the groupsets!

hi i have not heard of 180 cranks much . 175 i thought even they are quite long, more common for time trialling although 175 is quite common on mountain bikes .
Its an interesting debate in itself .
i had a bioracer fit 1990/s a print out of dimensions saddle height /top tube length/ stem everything
so if i get a frame with a longer t/tube i use a shorter stem and stick to the overall measurements.
height of bars below saddle,everything .[be carefull !]
of course it doesnt matter if your just pottering or if its going to be an ornament.
like the colour by the way, nearly got a 753 gazelle the other.

DURA ACE!!!!

Bizarrely the above pics were taken today!!! DA chainset, SR bars, stem and seat post.

Opinion?

Richard

A couple of questions -

how did you get the age?

what headset have you got on it?

Richard

@stringfellow1946 I am 1.85m, been running 180mm's for years on all my daily bikes, road and off-road...

@TGR the Gazelle factory gave me the frame numbers of every first Champion Mondial of the year from 1975 to 1997. These numbers can be found on my site. The headset is a Zeus Gran Sport.

Back