hyperglide

brucers

Retro Guru
Just seen a bike on here making reference to 'hyperglide.' What is hyperglide? Don't go too technical on me if poss!!

Back in the late 70's shimano developed a series of freewheels / cassettes / chains to make changing easier, the rear cogs had a slight twist to them to help the chain move across... and the chain had steps in the plates.

Was a bit quieter to shift but not earth shattering :)

Shaun

Suntour had a similar system of chamfering the cogs to make the chain move easier......just remembered the first Shimano system was called UniGlide and the HyperGlide name came later with some further tweeks........

Shaun

Shimano Hyperglide was mid-90's. It was a cassette where the gears were set up so the chain engaged with the next gear before it disengaged from the previous gear. It made for much smoother gear changes.

So, we have late 70's and mid 1990's - any other offerings?

No?

Just ask an MTB'er as we know better. It was 1989 for the Hyperglide cassettes.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/u ... 4.jpg.html

hyperglide_technology.image.-Par50rparsys-0001-image.dash.jpeg

good pic showing the profile sprockets in a cassette

Shimano_HG40_8spd_11x30_03.JPG

And the best person to explain what it does

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

I've got Cycling mags from 1978 advertising UniGlide ....... as I mentioned, HyperGlide came later........didn't realise just how much later LOL

Shaun

Unilglide is not Hyperglide and shouldnt be confused with each other. Even the 8spd Dura-Ace cassette in the article was still only Uniglide when MTB was pushing ahead with ramped cassetes.

Best invention for cycling ever?

Nope, there's nothing like a campag mech banging the chain down on the next cog :)

Even my 2012 Basso makes the same sound with the Campag stuff as it did in the 70's :D

Shaun

Midlife":1ivqrlqi said:
I've got Cycling mags from 1978 advertising UniGlide ....... as I mentioned, HyperGlide came later........didn't realise just how much later LOL

Shaun
And I've got a 1992 Raleigh with its standard-fit Uniglide and I know Hyperglide came afterwards because I read it on Sheldon Brown. So now we know my reasoning too.

Back