853, 753 or 653>

Donny Dee

Retro Guru
I have a selection of these but I honestly cant say which one is the best.

The Raleigh 653 is strangely the lightest frameset but the forks weigh a ton!

Hi that does sound strange ? i would have expected the opposite, that is assuming all are the same size ?
how can you really say which is best , unless all equipment is identicle and geometry also ?
i would have thought 653 good for rough roads , supposedly more compliant than its colleages .
i would have expected 753 to be lighter and stiffer than 531[653 being 531 with 753 stays] because i read that it is thinner walled 531 which is hardend by heat .I really need to try all 3 if i conclude the same as you1 i'll sell 2
and put it down to old age! :idea:

Weight wise steel tubing has stayed pretty much the same over the years. Ride quality wise 853 will definitely be the best though IMHO.

Sounds about right.

653 is 531 with 753 main tubes, essentially. 853 isn't lighter than 753. Just stiffer and more durable.

Okay. 753 is heat treated (the presence of a 7 in Reynolds denotes this: 708 is also heat treated). 753 is not air hardened though (which means the stuff gets harder as it cools after welding).

653 is 531 front and 753 rear triangles.

753 is stronger than 531 (breaks after more stress), allowing a thinner lighter 753 tube to be as strong as a fatter heavier 531 tube.

853 is air hardened. It is also heat treated. 631 is air hardened but not heat treated (it is the replacement for 531 in an air-hardened age).

So, the strongest tubing of these is 853. That means that less steel can be employed to produce frames of equivalent strength.

How stiff a frame is will be down to how it is built (all other things being equal, a small 853 frame will be stiffer than a large one). Once you are into any of these complex steels, ride characteristics will be more dependant on the the way the frame is built rather than the the tubing. And even then, stuff like bars, stems and tyres will prolly make more difference.

There is an article online somewhere where a journalist rides three identical bikes made with different high end tubes (retro era). Any differences are lost in his subjectivity (the very fact of having to try and describe the differences renders them specious). Or in other words, only you can decide which is best for you. Which is pretty much what the OP figured out. (Some lighter forks on the 653 would be my choice. 653 is lush.)

The grips, saddle and tyres make as much difference as the steel used. Blindfold someone and get them to ride all three with different contact areas and they will likely crash pretty heavily.

Which is pretty much what the OP figured out. (Some lighter forks on the 653 would be my choice. 653 is lush.)[/quote]
yes this this old age pensioner :D cant wait to try out 653 i see brian rourke 631 o/size now

Back