Brake pads and shoes advice please

Campaghunter

Dirt Disciple
Help needed again please !

I have restored a couple of 1980s classics with the usual Campag Super Record brakes but the pads and shoes have had it. Any ideas for brake blocks and shoes that look half decent ? They have Mavic GP4 rims so cannot be too long or they catch the tyre.

Same question for second generation Shimano Dura Ace Ex brakes.

They need to work with alloy rims.

Original Campag shoes with the wheel guides seem impossible to find as do Shimano. The bikes will be ridden so the pads need to work but the idea is to find something authentic as the rest of the build is original.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Can't help much, but I share the frustration.. I remember 40 years ago my local Halfords branch, and probably every other branch too, had a shopping-basket chock-full of loose Weinmann red brake pads/shoes...That was the 'display'.. These days you go in a bike shop and every last piddling pair of over-priced, over-engineered, over-hyped brake shoes has to be strapped to it's little piece of over-packaging, with it's ******* bar-code, and hung on it's specially allocated display hook... :evil:

You can probably still find Fibrax. I don't trust them. With a name like that, I reckon they must contain mineral fibre... which used to be called 'asbestos', until they found out it's not good in your lungs, so they had to change the name...

I share your problem. I'd really like blocks with integral wheel guides but they come up rarely on eBay and are space race money when they do. As an interim measure I've bought a set of eBay item 261314484834. Can't go wrong for £2.99 on a bike that will be seldom ridden and they look right ( apart from the lack of guides). Can't say if they stop the bike as the kit is still in a box!

These look almost identical to the ones that came on old Shimano calipers and I use them on all my bikes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGWIRE-Road- ... 0971937764

They're quite soft and don't chew up old alloy rims like a lot of the new hard brake compounds do. Have a check around for prices though, I only used that as an illustration.

These are originals, for comparison:

!B8,bQ!!BWk~$(KGrHqEOKjEEzN,MNfq!BM2+ru!TiQ~~0_12.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi Dura Ace EX - are they parapull brakes? If so, the blocks may be available on ebay for around £20 a pair. They are super hard to find as opposed to being hard to find. Check the sales thread - there are campag blocks (maybe) for sale in a long list of NOS stuff.

Richard

Back