Frame Query - does 735 mean anything?

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I have had this frame for a while - i can only presume that someone had it stripped and repainted in a previous life. The decals seem to have been made up and the make 'Fulmar' added along with 531 stickers. I suspect it is a cheap mass-produced frame but it is light. I noticed an number on the seat post lug - it is embossed 735 - does this mean anything? (and it is NOT 753!)

Richard

It'll be 73.5 degrees. I.e. The angle of the seat tube. It's quite common for lug manufacturers to stamp the angles on the lug. The easiest guide to 753 is weight. A good 753 should be 1700-1800 gr for the frame, +3-400gr for a 531.

Thanks for that piece of info, much appreciated. I have seen the same on a Gazelle and should have made the connection.

Richard

No bother. Most of the little details on lugs ect are there for frame builders to make things easier for them when assembling. It's not for mere mortals like us ;)

Mere mortal? I am having a nightmare day and i even managed to post this in the wrong section!

Richard

Ach well, it's Sunday! I just rode 80 miles with a bunch of fit beggars and only just hung on all the way round. Technically I should be on a respirator by now. Bon chance.

Re:

Not sure it is a cheap and cheerful re-badge. The name Fulmar does ring a bell with me and, as I have been a life-long bike snob, I'm pretty sure it won't have been crap in it's day. The quality pointers are there: decent drop-outs and braze-ons. A good tip is always to get the seat pillar size. Anything over 26.8mm is decent stuff. Reynolds 531 is 27.0 to 27.2mm. 753 is 27.2 to 27.4mm.
For what it's worth, it looks very much like an Orbit frame to me.

Back