Fausto Coppi Giro d'Italia 51

Wiliertoerist

Retro Newbie
Hello,

Looking for some classis Italian bike knowledge here.

I recently bought me a steel bike and because I love Italian bikes and a limited budget it became a Fausto Coppi Giro d'Italia 51.

I only found one photo on an Italian fixed gear forum, but cannot find info about this model, build year etc etc.
Mine seems to have a "newer" Shimano 105-1056 group set on it, a +/- 1993 group set, which I suspect to be a bit younger than the frame.

Any info that you can share is welcome.

12141073884_250b630b47_c.jpg

The quill stem of 14 cm (!!) will be replaced by a 12 cm version soon.

is that a pic of the actual bike? i ask because you said 105 5600 model and that stuff is relatively recent 10speed but the pic above shows an older 8speed groupset, looks like the 1056 model.

also, check if it has "maschiaghi" on it somewhere, if it does then it will be a built in italy frame, which i think it is, it would be on the BB shell or the non drive chainstay, they were the company that built the nicer ones in the 90's, after that the ones we got over here were from taiwan but were mostly aluminium though.

either way that looks like a nice build :D

My glass of wine must have hit me, it's 8 speed 1056 indeed. (corrected my initial posting)
I will check for some "maschiagi" markings tomorrow (no decals showing it), maybe on the BB shell.

What I do like, but don't see on the internet, are the "Coppi" engraved seat stays and the way they are welded to the seat tube.

IMG_0288-4.jpg

There's quite some work on the bike, but when it rides well, I even might consider a re-paint and a full Campa group set, when I can find one at a fair price.

Encouraged by what has been done by forum member GastheerG on a Coppi frame and his efforts with the Gios bikes. Great work :!:

(Wiliertoerist comes from the modern bike I'm riding)

Suspected a link to Ciocc already, based on what I found on Masciaghi.
Think I will send Bruce a message, see what he can tell.

Will share his response, if I receive any.

Thanks.

Nice looking frame that is deserving of Campag high end components :)

Beautiful bike :)

If its designed or built with Giovanni Pelizzoli's influence you have a great bike.

CIOCC got labelled as the poor mans Colnago which I guess is a backhanded compliment.

Paint looks first rate to me why do you want to repaint?

Hi Robbie, thanks.

Something to find out, the Italians on their forum might know more, but don't speak Italian.

From a distance it looks good, but nearby you will see paint chips and some rust, especially on the chain stays.
Have to decide later on, first want to ride it for a while.

Back