What type of spray paint do I need?

RichCollinsUK

Devout Dirtbag
I fancy spraying black, an old Raleigh Equipe frame I've been given. I just want matte black. Any particular type of paint to go for? I want it to be fairly hard wearing but not expecting powder coat standard.

Like anything to do with paint its the level of preparation that determines the quality of the finish. If you're going to strip, prime and paint you'll find the cost of materials is the same as a powdercoat job.

Rustoleum and Hammerite both do matt black spray paint but they really need a couple of weeks to harden off properly. To have any chance of durability you'll need 3/4 coats of primer followed by the same of paint.

Thanks mate. Appreciate the advice. I should really have said this bike is a rough Singlespeed commuter. I just want to spray over the crappy 80s graphics.

I'll check those brands out though.

Cheers

By the time you have paid for the cans of paint and sandpaper it may well be no more expensive to get it powdercoated.

Get some wet-or-dry paper and sand off the crappy '80s graphics. You can probably get them to vanish without going through the paint if you're careful. If the existing paint is in reasonable condition, it's probably more durable than anything you're likely to replace it with.

torqueless":249f6c7y said:
Get some wet-or-dry paper and sand off the crappy '80s graphics.
Sand off stickers :shock: The wet & Dry paper will clog up after a few rubs,
I'd use an hair dryer and heat the stickers up and gently pull them off, any residue can be removed by thinners or white spirit.

I had my Equipe dipped, stripped and powdercoated at Bettablast up here in Newcastle and it cost me less than £40, and I got it back the next day. Beautiful finish on it. It would have taken me ages to get the 1987 decals off although I may have felt more of a sense of achievement....

If you just want to whack it over, you should be able to do a frame with a 500ml can of satin black from Halfords. It'll do 2 good coats. Go for two cans if you want to bury it a bit more. Just lightly sand the frame with 240 grit paper but don't go all the way through the existing paint. The beauty of satin black is it pretty much primes for itself because it covers so well and sticks better than gloss in my experience. And you can just spray a bit more on if it gets damaged and you can barely see it.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions guys. I have a question... With powder costing, how to they ensure the bottom bracket etc isn't filled with paint?

Back