Is it just me...

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
....or do many of the current crop of Shimano road chainsets look like the cheapy ones you get on a BSO? I saw a bike with full (modern) black Ultegra on it and in my eyes it looks very very cheap - nothing like the 6500/6600 stuff I have which looks classy.

Or is it just me?

no, youre right, they do look crap. Its that big blank area in the middle that does it. The silver version looks worse than black. Having said that, I thought the Mavic starfish chainset looked cheap and crap for the same reason and that is officially retro.

Agree. Shimano obviously got inspiration from baking a pie.

Attachments

• 3484669700_fc44902a26.jpg
    3484669700_fc44902a26.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 529
i have thought this for a long time, the modern dura ace chainset to me looks like the mtb basic SIS version

Attachments

• shimano sis.jpg
    shimano sis.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 522
  • shimano dura ace.jpg
    shimano dura ace.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 522
crap aren't they? Technically speaking I am sure they are better, stiffer lighter etc but to me this looks so much nicer

Attachments

• SHIMANO_ULTEGRA_6500_CRANK.jpg
    SHIMANO_ULTEGRA_6500_CRANK.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 519
To top it all, road seems to be going 4 arms too - which as we know is just wrong.

specifically the newest dura ace is really ugly in 4 arm, the massive gap opposite the crank arm is just awful.

Attachments

• dura acr 4 arm.jpg
    dura acr 4 arm.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 509
i don't know, i prefer the 7800 as it's silver/polished, and amongst the dullness of modern carbon black boring dull uninteresting stuff it actually stands out by comparison

Back