Colnago Super

marxster

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

I bought this bike in 1988 and have been riding it ever since. I noticed that it's starting to rust a bit so I need to figure out whether I want to sell it or refurbish it. I would love to know the year it was made, what you guys think this is worth if I sell it and how to go about finding a guy that could properly restore it (I'm in Montreal Canada). I bought the bike while I was still living in Luxembourg in 1988.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Here's a link to the photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9exle7z8u2bl4gg/r_90lnuBtu

If you like it and the rust is only superficial, just keep riding it. If the rust is more serious...???
You do realise that the fork came off a Rossin? That's unfortunate. The bike/frame would be worth more if it had the original Colnago Super fork. You'd probably make more off it by splitting it up and selling off the parts and frame separately, advising potential buyers of the rust issues.

Thanks American Friend, I was not aware that the fork is not original. This is why I asked more knowledgable people for some input.

The rust is minor at this point. I can take care of the rust myself, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to find a paint for touch ups?

The bike is from the early 1980s. There should be a patent date on the top of rear derailleur. That should probably match up with the date code on the cranks, and you can find another date code on the cones of the hubs. They're probably all original and should all match up.

If you bought the bike as is in 1988 with that fork, the bike almost certainly was crashed, but given you've had it for so long, you would have noticed by now any structural damage in the frame (the bike would pull to one side a bit). There shouldn't be any sign of paint creases or cracking on the bottom side of the down tube where it joins the head tube (another indication of damage from a head-on crash).

As I said before, if you like the bike, just keep riding it unless the rust is more than superficial. To find out, you really need to remove the fork and bottom bracket and inspect the inside of the tubes. You should probably do that anyway to service the headset and bottom bracket.

If you decide to sell, split it. The drive train, hubs, brakes, headset, bottom bracket, and stem should all fetch good prices on fleabay. You may struggle with the frame because of the fork.

Back