Age of Holdsworth frame

blackmaxr1

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

Please can some clever person out there age my Holdsworth frame. I think it's either late 40's to mid 50's? The frame number is 9256. This is stamped on the steerer tube of the forks. I did email Holdsworth to ask them, but I got no response.

Thank you very much in advance.

Marcus

Attachments

• small bb.JPG
    small bb.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,460
  • small frame.JPG
    small frame.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Small folk.JPG
    Small folk.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,460
Holdsworth frame numbers from the early post war years are a quite simple sequential numbering system, frames numbers ran from around number 6000 in 1946 through to about 30000 by 1962. Your frame number 9256 I would guess at being around 1947/48 as on Classic Lightweights there shows a 1947 Holdsworth Cyclone frame (number 8183) and a 1949 Holdsworth La Quelda frame (number 11767) hope this to be of help
Griff

Excel":36dig70z said:
Holdsworth frame numbers from the early post war years are a quite simple sequential numbering system, frames numbers ran from around number 6000 in 1946 through to about 30000 by 1962. Your frame number 9256 I would guess at being around 1947/48 as on Classic Lightweights there shows a 1947 Holdsworth Cyclone frame (number 8183) and a 1949 Holdsworth La Quelda frame (number 11767) hope this to be of help
Griff

Thank you Guys, Griff,

I had looked at the Holdsworth website, and thought it may be 1947 with the unusual fork design. The bike looks quite alot different now. I hope i've not ruined it, but the paint work was so far gone I had it bead blasted and painted a pale blue with cream head stock and panel on the seat tube. I've rebuilt it using some new parts, and some old. I know some of the purists won't approve, but I wanted a bike I could use. Even if just occationally.

I think this is the only picture i've got of it nearly finished.

Attachments

• 20130901_151508.JPG
    20130901_151508.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,414
Now that does look nice, very "Carlton Lagoon Blue" and one of my favourites colour schemes :D

Only being picky, I'd shorten the cables a little and add another cable clip on the top tube to make the cable go in a straight line.

Shaun

You're right shaun, I have a bit of a thing about cutting cables too short, because you can't make them longer again. I've learnt that the hard way. Those Terry clips cost me £5 each, I think it made me cry to buy two of them. Again, you are right, it would look loads better. The bars are wrapped in brown Faux leather tape to match the saddle. Like I said, there are brand knew bits on the bike, but when I did a time trail distance (25 miles) on it during last summer, I averaged over 21mph, I was really pleased with that. I really need my SPD pedals on it now though...

Latest posts

Back