Record front mech hybrid

AlHodkinson

Dirt Disciple
Last year i built up my 1960s frame using a 6th gen record front mech (has circuclip but cage has no lip), the frame actually has a braze on for a front mech with a cable stop, but I couldn't find one at a reasonable price so ended up using an extra cable guide instead. This works fine but looks a bit cluttered around the bb area.
So now I've got hold of a 3rd gen record front mech which has a slotted cable stop, it is in OK condition but the cage is a bit worn having lost some of the chrome and sporting a chain groove. I am wondering if I can transplant the cage from the newer mech onto this one and produce a hybrid (purists look away now...)? It looks like it should fit but don't want to end up with 2 mechs that don't work!

the only way to find out is to try the cage swapover, if it doesn't work just fit everything back together and you've still got two collectable front mechs, it looks like the 3rd gen. cage will remove easily by de-tensioning the spring from the middle pivot then undoing the lower pivot nut and bolt that goes through the main body of the spring then the cage assembly and upper pivot arm should slide off the main body of the derailleur (as there's no circlip)....it's worth I try I guess!
let us know if it works?
Griff

As Excel says.....give it a go :) if not just lob the left hand cable under the bottom bracket with the original front mech which is what we did BITD when people swapped their old front mechs over :)

Under BB cable guides before they were invented :D

Shauin

Hi,
I never did report back - yes it does work. It is a pretty easy job to remove the circu-clip & spring from the later front mech and transplant the cage onto the older mech without the circu-clip. I've been using it regularly over the last year and it is working fine. Great to have a Record mech with the cable stop just like the bike had when it was built up in the 60's.

Back