Ball Bearings

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evening all,

This query relates to this -

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=282955

Having located my supply of bearings, it appears i do not have the 3/16 ones required so i will have to order some up. I have checked (Google search) and there are a few options - one being Shimano.

Has anyone any pointers regarding ordering bearings - type, suppliers etc

Thanks,

Richard

[p.s. I want this sorted to get my Gazelle built - after a history of similar problems!

I've just used any brand ball bearings in the right size. They're all hardened steel so should be ok and you stick so many of them in a headset that the load is tiny on each ball. I've measured some out of a very brinelled headset with and the wear on the balls was so small it was less than the manufacturing tolerance on the balls.

Vernier calliper or similar methods work well. Or put up next to a ruler a go for best guess...

Online shops. If for decent stuff an the races are good then go grade 25 or grade 10. Else grade100 will do.

I tend to go for stainless in the wheels it makes them last during winter, they don't blow the surface and then take the race with it.
Just my opinion and findings though.
Top end shimano groups all use stainless.

So to clarify,

The lower the number the higher the grade of bearing.

Bearings are hardened steel or stainless steel - hardened would work for my headset, stainless is better for axles etc.

I actually found an old box of 3/16 today but they look a little rusty so i will order new ones.

Thanks all,

Richard

So i will specify 25 grade, 3/16 size, 50 stainless balls - and that should be job done.

Richard

Back