Which bar tape

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am close to finishing my 853 Rourke and have got to the bar tape stage. I'm not after anything fancy, and I rather like the cork type tape, but, I wrap bars so infrequently, that I sometimes like to back off and redo a section until I'm completely happy, especially around the figure of eight / lever area. This is easy to do if the tape has a silicone strip on the back, but not a lot of fun with the adhesive backed tape.

The trouble I'm having is finding some nice black tape that does not have an adhesive strip, and I am rapidly building a rather expensive collection of tape that I'd prefer not to use.

Any suggestions of some black, comfy tape that is not covered in company logos (I see no good reason to pay for the privilege of advertising a companies products).

Dale cannon":129z0e0m said:
Hi, Neil. I was in the same position as you and I've just got this stuff which seems pretty good so far

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-pro- ... prod15974/

I might try this on my Rourke though

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cork-handleb ... -prod6842/

I hate to see manufactures logos on bar tape, looks cheap to me.

Thanks Ben, that's excellent.

Funnily enough I was on SJS's web site looking earlier, but there was so much choice I thought it easier to ask the combined wisdom of RB.

I like Pro tape, I've used some of the carbon look tape before (on the red Rourke as it happens), but haven't ever found it again. I may get one of each and see which I prefer.

As for Benotto; maybe on my 70's clubman bike, but not on an ultra modern Rourke.

I like Rourke frames , but a bit pricey for me , so that's why I have a Bob Jackson . Still a lovely bike though , nonetheless . Got any pics ?

Mike Muz 67":1mucwaxz said:
I like Rourke frames. Got any pics ?

Me too; I first saw them at Bespoked in 2012 and was very taken by both the frames, and Jason himself.

Fortunately, a repainted 853 road frame came up on this very forum, in my size, but it's been waiting for me to pluck up the courage to lash out on some lightweight running gear.

No pics yet, I'll post it up as soon as the bar tape is wrapped. :mrgreen:

Rourkes are not always expensive. I picked a 653 frame and fork up last year for £60, as it was covered in sponsors names. That one was built up as a Christmas present and is now with it's new owner in Bristol.

Ben, I'll get the tape on order. SJS always take three days to dispatch, so it should be with me by Thursday.

i have just bought some black cinelli cork tape. i have to say it is pretty poor. it rips easy and if you to unwrap it for whatever reason it rips and makes a real mess.

Yep, I had the same experience and ended up binning the lot. That's why I prefer the tape without adhesive backing.

Of course, if I wrapped bars often enough not to need a youtube tutorial every time I did it, life would be a lot easier. :roll:

Back