Help identify this bike....

RollingRevolution

Retro Newbie
I hope I am posting this in the right place.

Can anyone help to provide any insight into this bike.

Best I can figure out is that it's Italian, given the name, flag and the Columbus sticker. The only thing a search brought up was that a guy called Marcus Antonio Di Renzo raced with G.S Marchionno di Paglietta (not sure this is even the related to this bike but the name matches) when he was 11yrs old and it catapulted him into a professional career from 1996-2000.

The bike belongs to a friend's father and he, my friend, has little clue of its origins other than a claim that it might have been raced in the Giro d'Italia. His father sadly passed away recently.

I have only this one photo.

Hope some of you aficionados can provide some insight.

Thanks.

Attachments

• CIMG4854a.jpg
    CIMG4854a.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 329
From the little I can see it looks like about 1980, can't read the name. The handlebars are at least 2 inches too high to be a racer, if the handlebar stem shows no sign of ever being lower then you could be into a family legend. Are you located in US?
Many Italian bikes have retailers names rather than makers, also many small builders used almost identical components.
Keith

keithglos":d27fz56v said:
The handlebars are at least 2 inches too high to be a racer, if the handlebar stem shows no sign of ever being lower then you could be into a family legend. Are you located in US?

What? Is this a subtle joke or just a random non sequitur?

At any rate, I agree with Keith that it likely is a small Italian builder that no longer exists and made few frames, hence the lack of info on the Internet. The paint does strike me as being newer than 1980 but the parts build certainly looks pre '85. (could be Nuovo Record?)

Post some more pics of the drive side

Steven

Not commenting about the earlier comments but I would seriously check the height limit on that stem :!: :!: :shock:

lewisfoto":cm6m5mde said:
keithglos":cm6m5mde said:
The handlebars are at least 2 inches too high to be a racer, if the handlebar stem shows no sign of ever being lower then you could be into a family legend. Are you located in US?

Steven

Got it now as I can see the stem wedge, family legend indeed...

Thanks for all the answers guys.

It's not the stem wedge you see its just a reflection of the rear brake cable. Agreed though the bars are too high for a race setup, but this doesn't mean the bike wasn't raced. Anyway I'm inclined to believe the Giro tale is a family legend, if it had been raced then there would be more info the web about it.

I'm afraid I can't get any more pics. My friend now lives in Australia, the bike is in Switzerland, and I'm currently in Thailand.

It's a nice looking bike though.

lewisfoto":vhinryer said:
Steven

Steven,
I have lost count of the number of times I have suggested to our friends in the US to lower handlebars by several inches. I did not expect you to understand, but fortunately Roadking has justed posted something you should see.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=283077

If you want to put your hands lower, that's what the drop down curvy bit of the bars is for. :)

Latest posts

Back