Cassette spacer 0.3mm needed

Cooker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all, I've fitted a 9S Campag Veloce cassette to my bike, but with 8S spacers to keep my bike 8speed. Only prob is that the last gear (12t) has the 9s spacer built into it as one piece.
So I need a 0.3mm (difference between 8-9s) spacer to put between the 13t and 12t gear.
Any help where I can find one.
Is my only option to make one?
Cheers.

You don't need a spacer, leave it as it is. The stop on the rear mech will prevent overshifts , the only noticeable difference will be very slight cable slack when you're in top (small cog) gear. Obviously, don't set your indexing up in this gear. Oh and you might need to use a 9 speed chain, you'll have to see.

I have that setup at the moment but it rubs ever so slightly.
Surely having the spacer will make it as perfect as possible?
Seeing how 8 speed hubs are getting rarer and rarer, I would of thought someone would of made a 0.3mm spacer so 9s cassettes can be used to convert newer Campag wheels/hubs to 8s.

But wait: 8 spd has both the spacers and the cogs thicker. So, when you build up an 9spd cassette with 8spd spacers, the spacing won't be 8spd, neither9, it'll be a "transition" between the two.

If your rear hub has steel FH body, you could probably get away with an 8spd cassette on a 10spd hub. You'll have to use lockring from an 9-10spd cassette

http://s778.photobucket.com/user/london ... 2.jpg.html

http://s778.photobucket.com/user/london ... 8.jpg.html

If campy would make 8spd cassettes to fit current freehubs, I'd be the happiest person in Earth. :) See, I love 8spd campy stuff, but my rear hub weighs above 500 grams with skewers, which is twice the desirable. :D

Anyone knows what's the best way to "home manufacture" spacers? I was thinking about PVC tube with at least 35-36mm internal diameter, cut and machined to the desired 3.25mm spacing. Any better ideas?

thank you.

Yes, mine is like in the picture you linked.
So I can fit an 8 speed cassette on my free hub, but just as in the picture, the locating teeth only sit approx. 1mm into the alloy free hub.
Will my alloy freehub get chewed out from using an 8 speed cassette that doesn't have longer locating teeth that sit all the way on the free hub? Will it munch the alloy over time?
Cheers

Sorry for the "delay" :)

Mavic Aksium wheels are supplied with their own Mavic lockring for 9-10-11spd ED cassettes, and 8spd cassettes also fit just fine, you'll have to use the lockring provided by Mavic.

I've asked a guy who rode the above setup (8spd on aksiums) for 2 seasons, and he had no problem so far. I guess maybe lower end wheelsets actually have steel freehub body which is more durable, thus providing you with the chance to run 8spd cassettes.

I'd also ask highonbikes, as they do sell 8spd cassettes as "for current campagnolo hubs you'll need a different lockring".

I'd say, if you're not very heavy, and have a freehub body of steel, then it should'nt be a problem.

cheers.

I'm not talking Shimano, I'm talking Campy.
I've got a 1st gen 9S alloy Record Titanium Freehub and a Record 8S cassette fits on it but doesn't have long locating teeth like a 9s cassette does.
8S has shallower splines then 9S.
8s used a steel Freehub (except 8 Titanium) hence the shallow locating splines, but I assume when Campy went aloy Freehub (1995<) the locating splines were longer as alloy is weaker then steel.
So using an 8S cassette in a 9S alloy Freehub, it's just like in your photo, it doesn't locate all the way in depth. Campy went longer locating splines for a reason.
My question is, will the shallow splines munch the 9s alloy Freehub?
I think yes, so I'll either swap the Freehub for an 8S steel one, or get a conversion spacer kit for 8S and use 9S gears.

btw, campa 9s:

1.75mm cog instead of the 1.9mm of the 8spd cogs. The proper 5mm spacing requires 3.25mm spacers. Shimano 7spd uses 3.15mm spacers, which is close enough, therefore, I think with an 9spd campa cassette and spacers from a 7spd shimano cassette, you can get almost perfect spacing (4.9mm).

I was not talking about shimano, I referred to Mavic Aksiums, with their possibly steel freehub body.

Or if you can get dimensions for the spacers (internal diameter should be 36mm, thickness 3.25mm) you can get someone to manufacture them. Or, you can use some beercan, which has wall thickness of 0.2mm, therefore with shimano 8spd spacers (3mm exactly) and a beercan spacer (0.2mm) you get 3.2mm, which is ALMOST 3.25, the difference is so negliable.

Honestly, as I have a m8 with LOTS of 7-8 spd used cassettes (and spacers..) I could get myself those required spacers with the beercan.. : )

Back