Brake Hoods

Kenchmeister

Retro Newbie
Hi there guys,

Am looking for brake hoods similar to the ones in this picture. I have searched for "brown brake hoods" but I cannot find similar looking ones, all the ones that come up look to "plasticy" and fake, while I find that the ones in this picture provide a good balance between leather imitation and "plasticness."

Still I would be grateful for any help offered.

Thanks in advance,
Kenan

Attachments

• PeugeotMaroon52cmMS-1.jpg
    PeugeotMaroon52cmMS-1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 422
Those brakes appear to Weinmann QR levers if so they are hard to find just as hoods however there are usually a few sets fitted to levers on the 'Bay selling for around £30 ish alternately Campag ones work but you end up paying the old Italian tax for NOS.
My brother has just bought some Cane Creek hoods and he is really pleased with them. Check out Anglians Carlton Criterium build thread
Good luck with the search.

Hey there,

Yeah - I can feel your pain! These parts are a pain in the butt to find when doing a restoration.

As above - those look like Weinmann brakes so try eBay searching title and description for "Weinmann Gum Hoods"

The old (i.e. 1970's and 80's) Weinmann hoods were gum (rubber) but there were some later ones which were silicone and these look almost original and are unlikely to perish as the originals did (and are doing!)

This eBay item might be what you're looking for.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have the Dia-compes. They are a good fit on my 1970s Campagnolo brakes but hopelessly the wrong colour - opaque rather than translucent and just plain sludgy. However they are very cheap on eBay and also come in black (which can't be wrong, surely).

Search ebay, I bought a set for older Dura Ace levers a couple of weeks ago. They cost around £22 posted.

I think the seller had a few sets, if i can find the link, i will post it.

Richard

Hi Richard

Strangely enough as they say I have bought a pair too....not got them yet :)

They are not genuine hoods as they have no Dura Ace Logo but I'll see how they look :D

Shaun

Shaun,

I await your opinion. I suspect real DA ones would have a frightening price and i do not think i have seen a set for sale.

Richard

Back