Dawes 531c........help needed

davester1965

Dirt Disciple
Hey Guys,

i have just won a 531c Dawes Imperial circa 1984 on ebay, i bought it as damaged purely for the wheels, to donate them to my current restoration project (1987 Raleigh Randonneur)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Imperia ... TRK%3AMEWN

picked the bike up today and the damage isn't half as bad as i expected, yes there is some bending of the forks/steerer but i think this is an easy fix for a framebuilder, so i'm going to stash this frame as a future project.

Can anyone point me to some decent pics of an Imperial of this era so i can get some details of the decals?

Have posted some pics of the frame detailing so any Dawes experts out there can guesstimate the exact year. Have looked on the BB shell and there is a 3 digit frame no, but i understand frame nos aren't much help with Dawes due to their records being lost in a fire some time ago.

Appreciate any help guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0003 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0003 - Copy.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0004 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0004 - Copy.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0007 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0007 - Copy.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0008 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0008 - Copy.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0009 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0009 - Copy.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0011 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0011 - Copy.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0012 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0012 - Copy.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0013 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0013 - Copy.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 453
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks, appreciate that. The previous owners bought the bike in 88 at around 3 or 4 yrs old, so I think its prob an 84 model. I particularly need detailed photographs of the top tube 'imperial' decal and any decals on the seat tube.

Thanks you two, some cracking detail pics on flickr, now i'm confused, Robbied's Imperial is the same colour as mine and a year newer, Biggsy's looks a bit older than mine (guessing from the 531 decals at very early 80's) but both have the same top tube decal 'Dawes Imperial' in a plain font similar to the downtube decal. I've downloaded a copy of the 84 Dawes catalogue and the pic in there shows a top tube decal which simply says 'Imperial' in an italic style font. Any ideas why guys?

davester1965":ciok56nu said:
Thanks you two, some cracking detail pics on flickr, now i'm confused, Robbied's Imperial is the same colour as mine and a year newer, Biggsy's looks a bit older than mine (guessing from the 531 decals at very early 80's) but both have the same top tube decal 'Dawes Imperial' in a plain font similar to the downtube decal. I've downloaded a copy of the 84 Dawes catalogue and the pic in there shows a top tube decal in an italic style font. Any ideas why guys?

from memorey the calipers on mine are either 80 or 82 if that helps

Arggghhh! I had a Dawes Imperial when I first went to Uni - Everything went wrong with it in three months, the rear cassette went, bottom bracket packed in, and then the head lug started to come away with poor brazing. DAWES never again!!!

Back