Compact Chainset Advice

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
Can anyone recommend a neo-retro compact, square taper chainset?

I really like this one from Andel but can't find a stockist.

I've seen this On-One tourist but I'm not overly taken on the look of the outer ring but it is very cheap.

I like the Velo Orange drillium but £140 seems a little expensive to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 957
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 957
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 957
Depending on what you mean by neo-retro, a Campag Veloce or Centaur square taper one from around 2005 might do quite well.

Does Hilary Stone sell Andel stuff?

130BCD Shimano stuff should be cheap as chips.......

Shaun

what about UT cranks? Older Centaur, Veloce, Athena?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chainheros/

They don't look that classy as a square tapered drilled chainset, but for performance, stiffness and weight they're unbeatable.

And yes, you can have older centaur cranks in box, NIB for 60-70 pounds if you find a good store. :)

When you say 'compact' how many teeth on the inner? I assume 52 for the outer.
Then, what front mech do you plan and do you know if it will cope with a wide range. I'm especially interested 'cos I have similar thoughts and am currently flogging round my hilly bit of Hertfordshire on 52/42, 13/21 and like the aesthetics of a narrow range block. Currently ducking out of including Bison Hill in my longer ride as 21% may defeat me (it is bad enough on 39/26).

Compact means (for me at least) 110bcd, thus most commonly 50t outer ring with 34 inner. Though there's the opportunity for going with 52-36 which is a nice transition between the 50-34 and 53-39 pairings :)

Use a set of MTB cranks such as XT and remove the granny inside ring and a shorter road length BB spindle. This is all a compact is. I used one like this for years before the term 'compact' appeared.

Old Ned":necwrigt said:
Use a set of MTB cranks such as XT and remove the granny inside ring and a shorter road length BB spindle. This is all a compact is. I used one like this for years before the term 'compact' appeared.

:D the funniest thing: it's indeed practically a 5bolt 110bcd style crank with 2 chainrings.

Always nice to see old ideas introduced as some kind of innovation. Oldish MTB-trekking cranks, ie.: XT, LX, DX, STX-RC, STX should all do the job. I wonder what'd be the price for those cranks with their "stock" 48 and 38t chainrings. Probably between 10-15 pounds nowadays, without the BB ofc.

I've currently got 3 retro builds on the go, ranging from early 80's to mid 90's and I've decided to go down the Campagnolo compact route.
At first, and I'm still open to this option, I was going to use a Campagnolo square taper compact chainset. The drawback being that they were only produced between about 2004 and 2006 in silver and limited to Veloce or Centaur groupsets.
So I've bought a couple of Campagnolo Ultra-Torque compact chainsets in silver and I think they look pretty good on a retro build.
I'll put some pics up in the new year.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Stronglight do one and I stock them not very retro but compact and square taper. Compact campag chainsets are easy to come buy in U-T.

The andel (Zenith) chainset is something I do. Give me a bell or drop me a pm. I am ordering on the 2nd Jan. can't remember the price at the moment.

Latest posts

Back