Record Sprint RIP, here's to a replacement!

sollophonic

Retro Newbie
I have had this nice old Raleigh Record Sprint as my winter/touring bike, and although much of it has been upgraded with Campag/105 stuff it has served me well as a frame.

Until today, that is.

Set off on a social ride with my local Club,and within a mile or so of setting off came to a fast-ish downhill. Well as my speed hit 20 odd, suddenly my bike developed a serious wobble, such so that I thought I was going to crash. Just about brought it under control, and pootled on to the first stop of the ride. On looking at the bike, along with others, I realised that the down tube and the headtube was coming adrift at the lug, and not only was there a gap in the lug, but a crack had started to develop across the headtube itself, just underneath the Raleigh badge.

The consensus was that it being an old steel frame, would last the ride if I kept me speeds low and didn't do anything drastic.

I finished the ride and took it to my local bike shop where I bought the bike from used a while ago, and his view was that yes it could be repaired but maybe not quickly or economically, and certainly not by him either.

Then a grin came to his face and he said "You know what, I have another old Record Sprint frame upstairs, I was going to use it as a track bike, but you could have that if you want"

Brings it down, and not only was it the same size, but it had the original transfers on it too.

Cash transaction made, and I'll have another Record Sprint on Friday.

Proof once again that there's only one replacement for a record sprint: another record sprint. I've got two of the buggers.

Can we see the damage?

Bats":1ceomxfq said:
Can we see the damage?

I might try and get the old frame back too. Its pretty dodgy, there is s gap around the lugs, and there is a crack across the headtube. But it might be fix-able, just for now I am happy to have a rideable road bike in a week or so.

Just thought I'd post a pic of the new frame with my stuff built onto it.

Quick 25 mile spin on it today, feels a bit different. Tighter back end, it has oval tubing on the down tube and the seat tube, feels better on the uphills, a bit twitchier on the descents, and a nice springy ride overall.

Original decals too, and the Reynolds sticker in the correct place too.

Hopefully this one will last longer than the last one in my hands;-)

Back