What have I bought? (newbie advice)

ginllfixit

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,

After looking for a suitable large 531 frame for a long, long time on eBay I decided on impulse to buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231097756428? ... 1497.l2649

Collected it today and was just wondering what it would take to verify the tubing, or anything about what the frame was originally? I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this so any pointers in the right direction would be greatly received!

Can take more photos if needed.

Cheers!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Firstly weigh it - that at least gives a good starting point.
The dent in the top tube is a good sign :shock: as it shows it's a relatively light tube set.

531c should take a 27.2 or (if really carefully built 27.4) seatpost. Top tube will be 25.4, others 28.6mm diameter, if I read Tony Oliver's book right. The seatpost should be single butted 0.5mm/0.8mm.
However, on a big frame like yours another tube might have been used to give a bit more rigidity.

hamster":323pco2v said:
The dent in the top tube is a good sign :shock: as it shows it's a relatively light tube set.

531c should take a 27.2 or (if really carefully built 27.4) seatpost. Top tube will be 25.4, others 28.6mm diameter, if I read Tony Oliver's book right. The seatpost should be single butted 0.5mm/0.8mm.
However, on a big frame like yours another tube might have been used to give a bit more rigidity.

Wonderful, thank you for your help.

Will get the tape measure out now and see.

Apologies for my ignorance, but when you say the "seatpost should be single butted 0.5mm/0.8mm", what exactly does this mean?

ginllfixit":f7yigtuw said:
hamster":f7yigtuw said:

Apologies for my ignorance, but when you say the "seatpost should be single butted 0.5mm/0.8mm", what exactly does this mean?

I wouldn't get too worried about what butting means - simply put butted tubes are those that are thicker at the end(s) where they join the lugs (for strength at the joins).

I would be surprised if your mainframe is 531, or it'll be at best 531 maintubes only, judging by the way the seat tube is finished - although I like the little touch in the lug.

I could of course be wrong, but that's my hunch (always slightly sceptical when I see new paint and new Reynolds decals).

Jon.

roadking":2m516rzl said:
ginllfixit":2m516rzl said:
hamster":2m516rzl said:

I wouldn't get too worried about what butting means - simply put butted tubes are those that are thicker at the end(s) where they join the lugs (for strength at the joins).

I would be surprised if your mainframe is 531, or it'll be at best 531 maintubes only, judging by the way the seat tube is finished - although I like the little touch in the lug.

I could of course be wrong, but that's my hunch (always slightly sceptical when I see new paint and new Reynolds decals).

Jon.

Ah, I see. Cheers for the advice.

I've measured the tubes as best I can with a tape measure and they seem to match hamsters measurements, although I can't be 100%.

The new paint job + decals were the things that got me thinking, and the fact the seller wasn't 100% sure if it was 531.

I was just wondering if there was a definitive way of checking that I wasn't aware of.

If I were to weigh it, what should I expect as a rough guide?

You will need an accurate measure of the diameter of your seat pin/ saddle pillar. Better ones are marked. 27.2mm would mean a very light tube, butted, and as the tubes sizes get thicker you can assess the quality of the tube down to about 25mm inside diameter.. The tube is 1 1/8 inch outside.

Keith

Latest posts

Back