Etape Caledonia Open for Entries - be quick!

Cost: £65

Please note, your entry fee pays for your event entry only, none of this goes to Marie Curie Cancer Care.

I would rather give Marie Curie the £65 and ride it on my own

or you could look on the bright side and raise money for marie curie, cough up the entry fee and have an amazing day instead!

:roll:

Kind of sticks in my throat that they're charging £65 per head and attracting 5,500 cyclists giving them a grand total of £357,500 and not giving a single penny to the charity that they represent, meaning we the cyclists are expected to pay a hefty fee to participate and then further expected to raise funds from sponsorship to support the charity. Then on top of that 'race' along with 5,499 other cyclists on narrow roads on a route which has over the last few years caused public outcry from locals in the area. I think I'll pass on this one thanks

Seems like a scam for someone to get rich quick. I have just looked at the site regarding this and it quotes "Over 8,000 people took part in the Etape series events in 2013, and riders raised just under half a million pounds for Marie Curie Cancer Care"
If the riders, raise the money, (quote from the link above, " All you have to do is simply raise a minimum of £250 for those riding Etape Pennines"), where is the rest of the money. On my calculator, £250 x 8,000 = £2,000,000. So over 1.5 million does not go to Marie Curie Cancer Care.

I understand that it costs money to organise events like this, I also realise that the organisers will be required to make some kine of profit. The £357,500 they receive from the entry fees will only be the tip of the iceberg as far as income is concerned. There are at least 11 companies sponsoring the event and I would hazard a guess that none of the money from said sponsors goes to the charity either. Even if the fees were in the region of £25-£30 I wouldn't be tempted to do this event, as I said in my previous post the thought of competing along side another 3,499 cyclists on narrow roads does not sound like a fun day out for me.

It would be a bit cramped on the road. Even as a leasurely ride, theres bound to be some injuries. i cant see the ones at hte back waiting until everyone else has moved before they start to ride.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -bike-ride

I am signed up for the 2014 Caledonia, but totally agree that it seems a bit of a con that the organisers take pure profit out of the entry fees, and contribute nothing to the charity. I'm doing it to ride with my old man on the course (however, I'll be the one struggling to keep up with him!), who has done a couple of Caledonias in the past. I told him about the above and he was amazed. They obviously like to keep it quite quiet.

I'm looking forward to the ride, but I don't think I'll be doing it in 2015, given what I know now.

Thanks for the link fjpshaw, not read that before

The only reason IMG (and many other events organisations) use 'charities' as fronts are purely for financial greed and perks, nothing to do with actual fund raising for the charity.

There is no doubt that IMG does handsomely out of the Etape (I read that they also find it morally justifiable to CHARGE Marie Curie £100k to be the headline charity) but I suppose the good that comes out of all their corporate greed is that their partner charities do get revenue from entrants that they wouldn't otherwise have had.

Latest posts

Back