Seat Post Extension

Star Rider

Dirt Disciple
I have a Campagnolo 26.4mm seat post which is a tad too short. Would it be possible to have the seat post “safely” extended, commissioning an engineering company to lengthen the seat post.
I have tried looking for a longer version (Campagnolo) but not having much luck as yet.
Ideally I’m seeking a seat post of around 250 – 300mm in length.

Get a smaller frame. Seriously, if it's a conventional flat top tube 'retro' frame and you need a longer seat pin than this then it's quite possibly to small for you. A 'compact' frame should have come with a longer seat pin.

Old Ned - Not quite sure about your reply, but thanks anyway.
The current seat post is original to the bike with it being at the limit line as indicated on the seat post.
I just need a longer seat post (Thus raising the saddle) in order to straighten my leg slightly more on the down stroke.
So my question is “can my current seat post be extended” adding another section of tubing to it, (yes or no)or should i trawl the internet and attend cycling jumbles in order to find a Campagnolo 26.4mm seat post measuring at least 250 mm or use a similar quality seat post.

Star Rider":3a6jasyl said:
Old Ned - Not quite sure about your reply, but thanks anyway.
The current seat post is original to the bike with it being at the limit line as indicated on the seat post.
I just need a longer seat post (Thus raising the saddle) in order to straighten my leg slightly more on the down stroke.
So my question is “can my current seat post be extended” adding another section of tubing to it, (yes or no)or should i trawl the internet and attend cycling jumbles in order to find a Campagnolo 26.4mm seat post measuring at least 250 mm or use a similar quality seat post.
Sorry - I meant - 'get a BIGGER frame'!! :oops:

I know this probably isn't a realistic alternative but it's amazing how many bikes you see here with huge long seatpins and frames that are obviously to small for the owner.

You may have to source something other than Campag, I wouldn't fancy trying to extend yours as there will be an awful lot of stress on the joint.

I used to ride my bikes with quite a bit showing after the min insertion mark..........how much short is it?

Shaun

Thanks for your replies...

Nob:
That's a very nice seat post...

Old Ned:
Thanks for the reply. The frame is 56cm when measured from the centre of the crank to the top of the seat tube. It's a late 1980's classic road bike, so changing the frame is not an option.
Adding on a section of tubing to the seat post would perhaps be an engineering challenge, with the joint being a potential point of failure.
Sourcing a longer seat post of the same make would be best if possible, I missed one on eBay recently that would have been perfect. New old stock (NOS), was about to buy it, only to find it gone.

Midlife:
Looking for a seat post with a minimum length of 250mm, the current seat post is 200mm with 50mm being the limit mark.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back