New 126mm spaced hubs

That's handy as I've just opened an account with Velo Orange. Shame they're for freewheels though as they are becoming increasingly hard to source themselves too. I see Zenith also do a similar hub of lesser quality I guess.

RSX ones maybe worth having....

I wonder if the modern wheelsets can have the hub body machined down and the axle shortened!? Surely anything is possible, I need to have a look.....

Has anyone got access to a 8 speed freehub body and a 7 speed to measure with calipers? Not too concerned about Shimano or Campagnolo as long as the 7 & 8 comparisons are the same make.

file.php

Found on this very forum: viewtopic.php?t=111699

Tel, if you take an 8s HG hub and swap the freehub body for a 7s one, then you'll get down to somewhere near 126mm. You'll probably need to change the spindle or at least shorten it though.

If you want 8 speed, then removing some of the spacers will get you down to around 128mm, so depending on the frame you could make it fit.

Plus, if you're willing to spend a few bob*, the nice folks at Royce would no doubt be able to supply one.

David

*Lotto win or Lord Sugar-sized bank balance permitting. ;)

Thanks Foz (I need to pm you!) and yes I saw the Pug 753 with modified Royce hubs but yes a little on the dear side I'm sure.

I was looking at a couple of modern wheel sets I have in the shop and thought that surely the non drive side can have the spacing reduced easily by 4mm! Look at these (phone) pics and please tell me if you think it is doable:

Mavic Ksyrium Elite
1479716_10151858502364601_760733369_n.jpg

Campagnolo Vento
1464826_10151858502764601_784297052_n.jpg

Obviously the wheel will have to be redished but that's no biggy. Opinions please....

I've spaced a 130mm 9 speed Dura-Ace hub down to 126mm before, was easy really - just faffed around with my box of spacers for a bit then redished the rim over a little. No issues to report :) but worth bearing in mind this was to fit an old alloy frame, if it had been a steelie I think the spindle may have protruded a little.

Back