Very stubborn dustcaps !

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have found a nice frame ( maxi sports founded by cyril guimard - which were manufactured largely for pros - for example the castorama proteam )

it sports campagnolo cranks I need to undo

but the dustcaps are very stubborn and freezed
delicate ways have been unsuccesfull
I have started to be more brutal ( I have bored bigger holes to be able to use a VAR pin wrench - but not to avail )
I have even tried to bore more holes to cut it in 4 sections but it is very tough

I have even thought it may be a self extracting bolt but I have tried and it does not work

am I wrong ? are these dustaps or not

any other method you may suggest ?

gavr":p35w755e said:
Are you sure these are not self-extracting bolts rather than dust caps?

well I have tried to undo them as self extracting bolts but no success so I doubt it is :?

the build is beginning of nineties and I wonder if self extracting bolts were common at that time ? :idea:

Midlife":3nyuecrh said:
Don't look like dust caps to me......

Shaun

I think now you are probably right but
unscrewing the allen bolts with a 7mm key with rather strong pressure gives no result :roll:
but I have only a short key
will try with longer lever :idea:

A typical mechanics nightmare, try a piece of sreel conduit around the allen key to increase leveridge+lummp hammer. try some heat[heat gun] or a mini blue flame [not on the alloy].

They are definitely self extracting - I had some on some Victory cranks. Is indeed an odd size 7mm. Now I may be wrong but I have a very vague memory the self extracting part is reverse threaded.

They are not dustcaps but part of the self extracting bolt, don't try and remove them they come off when you undo the allen bolt

Some of the Campagnolo self extracting bolts were left hand threads, and others were not, you need to check which you have

Woz":33h5z7sb said:
They are definitely self extracting - I had some on some Victory cranks. Is indeed an odd size 7mm. Now I may be wrong but I have a very vague memory the self extracting part is reverse threaded.

C-Record self extractor for sure.

To remove the crank threading is standard, left turning. To remove the extractor from the crank threading is reverse.

What lewisfoto said... those are c-record self extracting bolts. 7mm allen key. Get some longer leverage on it, but you should also spray some penetrating oil or similar on both the front (as seen in the pic) and back (let it get in between the crank and spindle).

Back