Campag headset help

gadgetman2000

Dirt Disciple
Hi.

I've just embarked on my first retro project to build the bike I lusted after when I was about 17 - a Super Record equipped Alan.

I've managed to get a frame in fantastic condition, made in 1980, however the steerer tube is cut quite short. When the forks are put into the head tube with no headset fitted the steerer available measures 37mm.

Looking at Velobase I see that Campagnolo Record headsets from the late 70's - early 80's had a stack height of 39mm, but I only seem to see them advertised (eBay etc) with a 42mm stack height.

Other than relying on asking a seller and getting them to measure, is there any physical way of spotting from a photo if the headset is likely to be 39 stack or 42?

Any help appreciated, especially if you know where there is a good condition one for sale!

Thanks!

Welcome :). Are you desperate for a campag headset? Tange do some short stack height ones. Have a look on hilary stone's website for inspiration. Shaun

lewisfoto":1eao10uk said:
Pista headsets have a lower stack height...

The Super Record pista's were really short - were the Record pista's a little taller? I guess they're both hard to come by...

Thanks for the replies. Pista is an option, but I think I might take a chance on a Record - Velobase has them down as 39.1 stack height with only Super Record from that era being 42.

There is also the option of Victory from '84 I think.

Anyone out there with a steel Record circa late 70's early 80's who could measure theirs for me?

I wouldn't rely on Velobase for that level detail myself - good as it is. Having said that I have both a standard Super Record and a Record fitted up on two of my bikes. Eyeballing them just now I would say the Record could be a shorter stack. The Super Record is alloy and the Record steel so they might have put more material into the alloy version...

Steel record headsets were 42mm BITD. Sport and Pista were shorter, Later Athena were shorter as were Shimano........

Shaun

Thanks - I did wonder if the difference shown on Velobase is simply down to the thicker spacer on the Super Record?

Maybe Pista is my only option if I stick with Campag (which is what I really want to do)

Campag Sport was basically a Pista headset.......Or buy a Tange Passage for a tenner which looks like a pista from a few feet away :)

Shaun

the steel Campag Gran Sport headsets from the 1970's had a stack height of 34mm and were often fitted to track irons, these usually sell cheaper on auction sites than the larger stack Record headsets

Back