HELP... Suitable BB for Campag Strada 151 BCD Crankset?

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Suitable BB for Campag Strada 151 BCD Crankset?

I have a 151 BCD Campagnolo Strada Crankset, the version from 1962 to 1967. (This one: http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... 5&AbsPos=4) Basically wondering what bottom bracket options anyone can suggest, Campagnolo or otherwise.

I checked Campag Catalog #14 (195:cool: as its the only pre 1967 one I could see. It has the earlier version of the Crankset, and has the bottom bracket as being 118mm and needing to protrude the fixed cup by 23.5mm. As illustration below.

bb.jpg

Is this what I'd absolutely have to use? Seems a lot wider than subsequent Campag bottom brackets. Don't fancy having to find or afford an early flanged Record bottom bracket! Could I get away with a later Nuovo Record one? Anyone any experience of this? Or found successful alternatives? In case important, it's going to be used with a 1st Generation Record Front and Rear Derailleur and 5 Speed block, 120mm rear ends. Standard 68mm BB shell.

Any help much appreciated,

Daniel

I've got a bog standard 68-ss-120 axle kicking around and they seem to cover all the Strada chainsets that I came across in the 70's...... and before.

Shaun

Thanks for the reply...

I was using this article to try to figure things out. It's incredibly handy... http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html

Be interested to know what your axle measures out as.

Anyway, my problem is I'm not sure if the same pre 1974 specifications that article shows apply for the pre 1967 151 BCD cranks. The reverse of the 151BCD driveside crankarm has a raised 'bulge' around the taper compared to later 144BCD version. Wondering if without a wider offset on the driveside of the axle this bulge will end up too close to the cup when installed.

I was just looking at a post '74 Nuovo Record BB I dug out. It's marked 68-SS and I think the cups are the thick type. And when put together the axle only protrudes about 21.5mm on the driveside.

Sadly, the problem with all this is its late and solely theoretical as I've not got the tools to hand to try things out!!

I think it's a trial and error situation :)

BITD the 68-SS axle and thick cups covered most applications but things changed in the mid 70's !!

For some strange reason the BB / Cups / Cranks changed and when we swapped BB's over or put new chainsets on the driveside suddenly became much closer to the frame. I guess it was a change to shorter wheelbases and the need to have the driveside nearer to the BB but caused a bit of confusion .....

Shaun

Strange! I would have thought it would have been the opposite as the axles got wider in '74 according to the charts in that link.

Yeah, trial and error will be the way. Need to pick up the correct crank extractor tool tomorrow and mess around with axles. I do have some surprisingly nice quality '60s TDC cups. Used with the NR axle, they put the axle sticking the perfect distance out on the driveside, but are thinner, leaving the non-drive cup to screw right in to the BB shell!

Fun and games! :?

Yes, that does seem the case about longer axles. Maybe Campag made some sneaky changes to the cranks that made them sit nearer the frame............I wouldn't put it past them !

Good luck :)

Shaun

Back