Bianchi BB questions

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
A mate has acquired a 1992ish Bianchi with an interesting history.
One of the features is a 39/53 chainset and a 23 tooth cassette. As I have a nice triple chainset we were thinking about fitting it but have a coupe of potential spanners in the works.
I know its a bit vague but what length BB spindle might I expect to find currently holding the Record chainset on. On a Bianchi of this age, which according to documentation, was raced by a high level team, would I be likely to find an Italian threaded BB.
Not in the situation to take bits off to find out so thought I would ask for some reasonable guesses.

If it's a pre-1995 Record crank, the BB will be 111mm. In 1995 Record and Chorus went to 102mm. Got a pic of it?

Have a look at either end of the BB: if it's marked "34 x 24" it's Italian, "1.37 x 24" it's English/BSC/ISO.

92 latest so we may be in luck as a I damn sure a 111mm will be enough. Haven't looked closely at the BB , that was my next job when the bike gets to me.

"In luck"? As in using the same BB for a triple?

No.

What are the triple cranks? Likely to be something like 115mm.

Find out if it's ISO or ITA BB: I might have a suitable BB.

Out of curiosity , what are you intending to ride up , to need a triple on it ?
Mike

111mm is what this chainset and all my other Campag triple ones use on several other bikes. Currently running 3 setups like that. It will work if that's what the original is.
To be used on hills. 39/23 isn't much cop for the 25% jobs round here. Sods law says its Italian though and the only one of those I have will cost my mate!

Back