Chater Lea Road/Path.

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
I wonder if someone can identify the make of this fork crown.

I've changed the name of the thread as it's going to be the build thread for the project.

Attachments

• $_58-1.JPG
    $_58-1.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 605
Re: Ekla Fork Crown ?

the crown looks like an Ekla Plain D with filed in double side slots to give it a decorative twin plate look....are the lugs Ekla as that would help add weight to the identity?

Yes they are ( No they're not :roll: ). I (don't) have a good idea what the frame is, I'm in two minds wether to splash the dosh on it. (I did splash out)

I reckon it's a decent frame, but I was unsure wether the forks were the original ones.

(updated)

Not seen lugs like that.........are they before my time? 50's ?

Classy looking fork rake :D

Shaun

Yep, I'm going on a journey beyond space and time…………………….

Attachments

• 294895f6336d058b.jpeg
    294895f6336d058b.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 555

Ok, I believe it's a Macleans. Possibly an Ultra Track that has been drilled for brakes, although the W prefix dates it as pre WW2, but all the other stuff inc. oversized Chater Lea BB, Stronglight headset and reinforced head point to a 1960's Ultra.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/macleans.html

The reason I think it's a Macleans is because ;

Compare the seat post lug………..

With this one from the V-CC ride the other weekend.

More photo's…..

Chater Lea oversized bottom bracket

Hopefully I won't be proved too wrong and I hope it's a later Ultra by Dick Swann.

It's going to be a Chater Lea/Constrictor rebuild, which may take some time and a bit of cash. :roll:

Attachments

• $_58-5.JPG
    $_58-5.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 548
  • Fishbourne Lightweights 13.jpg
    Fishbourne Lightweights 13.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 548
  • $_58-2.JPG
    $_58-2.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 549
  • $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 549
  • $_58-7.JPG
    $_58-7.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 551

bugloss":3m7nz3dl said:
Yes they are. I have a good idea what the frame is, I'm in two minds wether to splash the dosh on it.

I reckon it's a decent frame, but I was unsure wether the forks were the original ones.

have you managed to check the fork steerer tube for matching serial numbers?

I've only just finished the auction, so no unfortunately not, I came across it late in the day and the seller hasn't had time to answer any questions.

Hopefully everything checks out, but I'm a bit (a little) worried that they won't match up. As usual I won't get to see it for a couple of weeks, so we'll have to wait and see.

My best guess is Chater lugs and crown from the late 1930's, perhaps the builder modified the fork blades. Was this the Chater colonial lug set?
Keith

I'm not sure Keith, I'm swimming with the sharks on this one, but it could well be 30's.

I can't find any information on the track or Ultra models bar the stuff in Classic Lightweights.

The W prefix on the serial dates as pre war, so maybe (that's if it's a Macleans).

Adam

Latest posts

Back