Rear mech advise

samsbike

Retro Guru
Attached is the rear mech that came on my bike.
I know its campag but I have no idea which one.

The rest of the groupset is chorus.

I would like to run this mech on a 9 speed tiagra set up for commuting - so my question is will it run at least 7-8 cogs of the cassette and will it run 25 or 28 teeth?

If not, or if its not going to be a good match, what rear derailleur should I buy, bearing in mind I would like to maintain the bike period etc.

I am going to stick with the downtube friction shifters.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 434
what you have is a Campagnolo derailleur from the mid 80's being part of their budget Triomphe groupset I had one for years and found it to be durable and totally reliable in all weathers, unfortunately it's not compatible with the Shimano Tiagra 9 speed index system as it pre dates that era but will be ok for up to 7 speed friction shifting

Thanks. Could i use it as an interim to run 7 of the 9 cogs?

Also do all retro bikes have that sort of bend in the seat stays?

Hi samsbike.
I only use friction shift stuff & 5/6 speed freewheels. If this will work with those & if you're planning on not using the rear mech & would consider selling it, please PM me & I'll take it off your hands :)

Cheers

Rich

In short you cannot use the 7 from 9 gears as the spacing between cogs is completely different. Google Shimergo if you want to see what works, but anyhow your rear mech dates from before indexing.

hamster":1pgqc247 said:
In short you cannot use the 7 from 9 gears as the spacing between cogs is completely different. Google Shimergo if you want to see what works, but anyhow your rear mech dates from before indexing.

Hamster, I was going to stick with friction shifting, I thought that would not make a difference as I would have to learn the spacing required. I used to friction shift when I had a british eagle, so hopefully I have not forgotten all of it

sam

samsbike":3uopch7z said:
hamster":3uopch7z said:

Hamster, I was going to stick with friction shifting, I thought that would not make a difference as I would have to learn the spacing required. I used to friction shift when I had a british eagle, so hopefully I have not forgotten all of it

sam

Sorry, I thought you meant with the Tiagra shifters. It should be fine, provided the 9 speed chain sits happily on the jockey wheels. You could probably fit some aftermarket jockeys to convert it if necessary.

Back