Vintage Dawes? Can you help me ID and date this bike?

Triptronic

Devout Dirtbag
Hello everyone,
I have a Dawes bike i would like to possibly date and ID but need your help. I have use this site as a good info source before but im new to posting anything :)

I dont know anything about Dawes really and i think records may be limited. There is a serial number on the rear dropout but dont know if it will help? PS8554. From what i can see the badge places it as 60s - but not sure how id tell if its genuine to the frame?, Gran sport derailleur, Weimann brakes, brooks plastic saddle - which i thinks is more 70s and it has gear lever on the headstem. See attached pics but ignore the decal, that was from the last owner. Any info help would be greatly appreciated but no worries if not, thanks for looking.

Jon :)

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,344
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,344
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,344
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,343
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,343
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,344
Hi

Only limited help here but the frame is definitely older than most of the components fitted looks like someone took a 70's donor bike and fitted the parts to a 60's frame, the GS mech may be the only exception but not even sure about that :?

Lovely looking frame, love all the chrome lug work :cool:

Mark :D

Hi,
Lovely bike. I'm afraid Dawes Serial numbers are a black art, you'll need a Dawes expert to date it exactly, but other clues are the use of Nervex BIS 100 lugs ( I think ! They were not used a lot in the UK ) the chrome usage and the oil port on the Bottom Bracket. I think it has to be mid - late fifties, the badges did change about this time so that might help track the date, it most of been near the top of the range. Terry

Always difficult to get an exact year for Dawes as they lost all their frame records in a fire. However, the plain Metal head badge would date it to the 50s, I'll check the period it was used for. It was replaced with a painted metal headbadge. If any of the components are original sometimes you can find a date stamp :) i think it would have had their scripty Dawes decals on the down tubes originally.

Very nice bike, where did you turn that up from?

I have a couple more pics and a few of the seat post lug. Ill have a look further into nervex lugs, thanks. I picked it about 4 months ago from a guy in sheffield, i just really liked the detailing of the lugs, was a bit of an impulse buy. I know this probably wont mean anything to anyone but I have noticed a small letter 'G' on the underside of the bottom bracket? Im a bit dubious now if it is a Dawes and just had a badge put on it at some point!? Great response so far tho and thanks to you all for your replies, every bit helps!

ps i dont know why it insists on rotating the images the wrong way!? tad frustrating!

Attachments

• photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,245
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,245
  • photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,245
  • photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,244
With those lugs and rear dropouts it's definitely a 50's frame (if not earlier). I'm sure I've seen Dawes frames with those style of chrome lugs.

Old Ned":1cpwxk0x said:
With those lugs and rear dropouts it's definitely a 50's frame (if not earlier). I'm sure I've seen Dawes frames with those style of chrome lugs.

This got posted a while ago. Another chrome lugged Dawes, similar, but not the same. Some interesting bits of info in that thread though :)

viewtopic.php?t=33370

Back