11mm?

torqueless

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone care to remind an old scavenger where on a bike I might find use for an 11mm spanner?

I'm always picking up things out of the gutter- the amount of crank-bolts you can find by the side of the road is astounding. The 10mm spanner I found a few years back came in right handy for adjusting the two inaccessible bolts on a Campag. NR seatpost. Just a few days ago I found an 11mm one, and now I'm racking my brains trying to think of what I can tighten, or loosen, with it?

Ah, thanks. I haven't had cotter pins since about 1978. Now Torqueless can apply torque if any cotter pins materialise..

I think there were quite a few 7/16" nuts (which an 11mm spanner will fit) on older bikes but they were mostly superseded by 10mm when they went metric. Handlebar stem bolt was another one as I recall.

I believe that the two nuts which clamp against each other on Weinmann Side-pull brakes are 11mm. You can get a standard spanner on the outer one and a slim cone-style spanner on the inner.

My mistake!! I knew they were not 10 or 13 mm but couldn't remember if they were 11 or 12 mm.

Happy to be corrected :)

Re:

Just bumping my old thread since I just recently found what I was looking for! It only took two years- that's pretty good going... :|

I dug out my old pedals to scavenge a tabbed washer to replace a slightly f$cked one on my daily rider, and found that the locknuts on those Gipiemme dual sprint pedals from the late '70s are indeed 11mm. Since they are Campag copies, I'm wondering if contemporary Campag (nuovo) Record pedal locknuts are the same size?

...and then I started to feel sorry for my old abandoned pedals, which although pretty cheap back in the '70s, (about a tenner iirc) are probably superior to the MKS Sylvan's I replaced them with. So I filed them, sanded them, polished them, straightened their bent spindles, and fashioned a pair of dustcaps out of hardwood to replace the long-lost plasticky ones.

Back