Pinarello Frame Renovation

PANZR

Retro Guru
I purchased bike off a local online auction site the other day and this evening I went to collect it
It was advertised and stickered as a Concorde however, it turns out it's a Pinarello with Concorde decals

I have no idea what model it is though but, I assume it's not high-end as it has what appears to be rack/guard mount eyelets on the drop-outs and I can't think what else they might be used for

It has 'PINARELLO' on the seat stay caps and BB shell, with 'GPT' on the fork crowns and on the FD braze-on
Drop-outs are Reynolds and fork ends are Pinarello
BB is English threaded - I think. Haven't removed the BB but I can see that it's a Shimano UN70
Serial number is: 955F

Can anyone shed some light on what this model may be?

Beta-160_zpsac0a50fa.jpg

If it's nothing special, I'll spruce it up and flick it off. If it's a good model then I might keep it

Re: My Concorde that's actually a Pinarello

Pinarello did (might still do) a steel frame with mudguard eyes as a roadmans winter bike. Some of the club lads had them. They were certainly decent(ish) - tubing was good, but they didnt have all the chrome of a full on racer.

not sure about the english BB?? - maybe someone in the uk made them on licence or maybe they were made speciifically for our market, dunno.

I don't think Pinarello made frames from crappy tubing like Aelle, Cromor, Zeta etc, like some other continental manufacturers - I think they were all SL/SLX level tubing or better

However, I'm not sure for definite what you have

edit - reading it again with Reynolds dropouts and Pinarello fork ends, maybe the only pinarello bit is the fork?

Reynolds dropouts? Cannot be a Pinarello.

Might it have had a new bb shell and dropouts put on by a previous owner? Assume the forks lack eyelets.

John":z0wvf2b9 said:
Might it have had a new bb shell and dropouts put on by a previous owner? Assume the forks lack eyelets.

The BB shell also has Pinarello stamped on it but, after close inspection of the dropouts, I can easily see that they are not original
The quality of the joins is simply not of the standard as the rest of the frame

Beta-163_zps8222b28a.jpg

All the hallmarks of a Pin with replacement dropouts. Doesn't explain the English BB shell though :?

Interesting track bike behind it :)

Mighty chainset?

Shaun

Midlife":mxb4v9a9 said:
Interesting track bike behind it :)

Mighty chainset?

Shaun

Wow. 'Mighty' good eyes. Even I didn't notice it in the picture
Super Mighty to be exact

I cleaned off all the surface rust and removed the Concorde decals and she's scrubbed up not too bad

Edit; BB shell is Italian. Removed BB for paint stripping and it is an Italian threaded Shimano UN70 (Ultegra/Deore XT)

Serial number stamped on fork steerer matches the frame number too

It's starting to make sense. I also emailed Pinarello with the serial number and I'm awaiting a response...hopefully they do respond

actually, Pinarello DID make frames from "crappy" "gaspipe" grade tubes like aelle, gara, zeta, cromor.. : ) And most of the time, those frames were nicely finished, lot of engravings, nice dropouts, wonderbaaar paintjob.

This frame looks interesing though. : ) Sometimes it occurs that french-swiss BB threads are re-cut to be english, I've even seen a frame which originally had english BB and that had been recut to italian, and that caused the left side cup to "overhang" the shell by 2mms.

Nice frame, and pretty sexy dropouts : ) Would have been nice to see it with pinarello dropouts, but I don't think it matters that much.

Looking forward to a buildup project B )

Back