1 inch quill stem bolt size?

Way2many

Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Way2many":4nzsmv0t said:
This is the expander one...M8 or M7?

Measured my 3T stem and it's M7...confused now.

Looking for a ti alternative.

Or...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300880451297? ... 1438.l2649

Risk of death?

From viewing steel ones for sale on eBay, ITM seem to be M7 too so that looks to be the common metric size for modern-ish quills.

Aluminium bolt? From past experience with both chainring bolts and Mavic 840 rear mech anchor bolts made of 7xxx series Ergal/Zicral type stuff, wouldn't really trust them for anything more heavy duty than water bottle cages.

David

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
They aren't M8 - smaller than that. Are they an imperial size maybe?

I wouldn't trust an aluminium bolt in there and I'm surprised you can even get them. Maybe if you were using it for one or two races and then replacing it, but not for every day use. Aluminium has nowhere near the tensile strength or the stiffness of steel or titanium plus it has the added disadvantage that it cumulatively fatigues with use which steel and titanium do not do.

i bought a NOS ITM eclypse off ebay and the expander wedge was not threaded strangely , so i tried some grotty wedges from old stems (one was aJapanese SR) and the hole in them both was too big for the ITM

Back