rear hub

smithchild

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 28 hole rear hub to fit a shimano 7 speed cassette? preferably silver, ideally dura-ace?? Not sure of the spacing of my rear dropouts but it's a 90's trek so probably fairly standard i hope.

any advice much appreciated

smithchild":1ouris63 said:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 28 hole rear hub to fit a shimano 7 speed cassette? preferably silver, ideally dura-ace?? Not sure of the spacing of my rear dropouts but it's a 90's trek so probably fairly standard i hope.
Maybe just trawl eBay for a while - most things come up eventually.

7-speed Dura Ace hubs are oddball though. They were only made for Uniglide cassettes, and the DA Uniglide threaded locking sprocket had a unique thread. Needless to say, they're rare now.

Shimano 600 hubs came in a 28h 7-speed hyperglide version (model number fh-6401) - that's probably the best hub for you. There's one here, but I can't tell whether it's the Hyperglide model or the earlier Uniglide one - you'd have to ask the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0221248646

You could also consider a freehub body transplant on a later hub.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
No worries.

Just one thing though - measure your frame's dropout width. It wasn't that unusual for some later (mid nineties) 7-speed road frames to be set at 130mm spacing. If that's true of yours, it might make more sense to use a more modern (8/9 speed) hub. You can still use a 7-speed cassette with a spacer on the freehub body, and it makes future upgrades easier.

Back