Super record Front Derallieur thread stripped

GP1962

Retro Newbie
Can any one advise me. The nut that clamps the cable for the front mech has stripped and although there is some thread left there is not enough for the nut to tighten and gain sufficient purchase to hold the cable. Has anyone else overcome this problem and if so what might be the best way.
There is probably just enough room on the rear to place a thin nut but it would probably necessitate filing the casting down. Alternatively re cutting the thread to a larger diameter (6mm?), but there is very little material around the bolt hole and I'm not confident that it will be strong enough to take a larger diameter thread. Is there such a thing as a small helicoil insert? Buy a replacement part.
In an ideal world I can fix it without damaging what is an otherwise an excellent condition and until recently perfectly functioning item.

Any advice much appreciated before attempting to fix this, and permanently scar / bodge and destroy it.
Cheers.

Instead of cutting a new thread, could you not try using a bolt that's more or less the same size as the hole and a nut on the other side? A lot of derailleurs use a nut and bolt set up to hold the cable instead of having a thread cut into the
cable clamp.

Admittedly it would look a bit of a bodge.

Johnny

There goes the option of getting a knackered Nuovo record and swapping the arm over...........

Shaun

Over the years I have had a couple do this. I swap cables and mechs way too much. I'd try the nut job which was ok but eventually just had a blob of alloy weld stuck on. Filed it to shape and drilled and tapped another hole. A careful welder won't damage to much anodising and with careful use of black paint you can get it 95% correct.

You could also buy a replacement mech if all the bodging does not work :)

Back