Classic frame + modern groupset = verboten?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Is it completely crass to have a modern groupset on a classic frame? Or is it more nuanced depending on which groupset and what frame?

Its a good way to make a nice bike more ridable.
Try and be sympathetic maybe. Alloy Campag looks a bit more traditional that anything else.
Avoid black wheels and carbon bottle cages I suppose.
It depend what you call old. To me if its after STi/Ergos were invented it not old or classic yet so are fair game to be played with.(but not damaged of course)
My 1930's Dawes looks a bit silly with Ergo' though.

Not in the slightest as far as I'm concerned - if it allows a frame to be ride-able again what's the worry? Of course there are still style considerations if funds allow ;)

Not crass or vulgar, but has to be done sympathetically.

I've seen a terrible looking, highly spendy bike with non-aero brake routing along the TT, a 1" quill and horizontal dropouts (also steel forks I think?). The last thing it needed was a SRAM Red groupset, but that's what it had (I think...). Mixing vintage frames with Thompson stems and seatposts is always disastrous, fit a Brooks and you've achieved something truly hateful. Quill converters make my heart sink.

On the other hand, someone on the forum (Sidekick?) has a stunning purple Quantum with a Record groupset. Someone on Bikeradar had a really nice lugged steel frame that they'd powdercoated clear and fitted with a DA7800 gruppo, and there's a GT Edge Ti on LFGSS with SRAM and Zipps.

Predictably I think it is harder to get away with the more racey-looking groups - SRAM looks very 'America, f*ck yeah!' and Shimano is hopelessly Battlestar Galactica. But when I had my much-loved Kona Kapu ('98 I think?) I used all sorts of different Campagnolo parts on it - new-shape carbon levers / RD body, new-shape alloy ergos and alloy group, and the previous style ergos... nothing ever looked out of place on that bike.

... also worth mentioning I got a GT Ti through the post today (after a customs-induced trauma) and it is getting either 7800 or new-ish Chorus. I'm quite keen on non-period builds. The only thing I get really fussy over is mixing components.

ededwards":16tinptu said:
Is it completely crass to have a modern groupset on a classic frame? Or is it more nuanced depending on which groupset and what frame?

The Polished silver Campag Athena 11 speed groupset looks nice on a classic frame

It is only crass if it lacks style and empathy.

All my bikes have modern running gear for reasons of practicality, especially my mtb's; this is because I ride all my bikes, frequently.

There are also the advantages of availability, as it is easier (although not always cheaper) to get modern parts, both to fit in the first place and in the event of damage. Older frames can be made to look very cool with modern running gear, as well as making them extremely practical.

There are a lot of beautiful classic frames built with modern parts. I.e.

6990272448_243ef129a4_b.jpg

mattsccm":3vjffvu3 said:
Its a good way to make a nice bike more ridable.
Try and be sympathetic maybe. Alloy Campag looks a bit more traditional that anything else.
Avoid black wheels and carbon bottle cages I suppose.

Good points there; modern, preferably silver, Campag parts aren't a bad match at all (even the alloy rear mechs with carbon bits - you do get a Mavic 840-ish two-tone effect!), ditto modern wheels but in silver finish.

My late 80s/early 90s Raleigh Quadra has a mix of old and new and is none the worse for it. Plus I find Ergo levers (Mirage alloy circa 2000 in this case) streets ahead of down-tube gear levers for convenience.

David

Back